Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/21 23:50:03 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Netbeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 4]

Dear all,

This is our 4th voting candidate for the 10.0 release of Apache NetBeans.
The content of this voting candidate is the same as the previous voting candidate 3, the only difference is the accidentally included binaries got removed (with some build script modifications).
See more at: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1719

Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) constitutes all but the enterprise cluster in the Apache NetBeans Git repo, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that provide the Java SE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of Apache NetBeans.

In short, Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) is a full IDE for Java SE, PHP and JavaScript development with some Groovy language support.

Build artifacts available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc4/

Included in the above are the DEPENDENCIES, DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, and NOTICE files, as well as a README file with build instructions, which are the same as these:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/release100/README.md

SHA1: 028b47ca10118e616208e4949fb79c2e38d74fd5

KEYS file:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 10.0-vc4 :
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/tree/10.0-vc4

Note: NetBeans license violation checks are managed via the rat-exclusions.txt file:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/release100/nbbuild/rat-exclusions.txt

Rat report shows no unknown licenses, except for license files:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-release/370/artifact/rat-release-temp/nbbuild/build/rat-report.txt

Included as a convenience binary, not relevant for the voting purposes (unzip it, run it and you'll see Apache NetBeans):

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc4/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc4-bin.zip

Release specific wiki page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+10

How (and what) to try out the release:

1. Download the artifact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Check that the artifact does not contain any jar files,
    save the: platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar
3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
4. Build it using the README provided by the artifact.
5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by the build process.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Netbeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 4]

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
+1

Gj

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
It will stop when we will not be aware of any obvious release blockers
and all voters will +1 on the voting thread.

I can assure you Geertjan that if I had known about this JavaScript
Parser licensing problem during the VC3 voting I would have voted -1
earlier. Unfortunately I wasn't until now.

-Jirka

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 23:27 Laszlo Kishalmi <laszlo.kishalmi@gmail.com wrote:

> The next thing I opened Tools > Plugins > Installed (with Show derails)
> Entering javac in the search shows nbjavac installed and active.
> Before opening the project the same search of installed plugings shows
> nothing.

I was just watching the userdir, and it does briefly flash up in the
progress bar too. Glad you can replicate it, even if not to notice it in
the first place!

But mentioning Tools > Plugins reminds me, when enabling the Java kit
manually I see two dialogs - one for nb-javac and one about restarting the
IDE from a couple of other modules. When ergonomics(?) kicks in when
opening a Java project like above, neither of those dialogs show up. Surely
both should? Possibly related anyway?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Netbeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 4]

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well, I was able to reproduce this this with Java 8 and 11 as well.

I just opened a JavaApplication (NB generated, very basic Java
Application) with completely new userdir (and even cachedir)

The next thing I opened Tools > Plugins > Installed (with Show derails)
Entering javac in the search shows nbjavac installed and active.
Before opening the project the same search of installed plugings shows
nothing.

We shall display and make the license accepted and even respect those
user decisions who do not accept nbjavac and work without installing it.

I change my vote to: -1

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 at 17:30, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> The only question is how do we define this -- the items you're pointing out
> now, if they are true, have been true since the very first voting candidate.

Probably!  I've been really out of the loop the last month or so due
to other things, and not had much time with NB10 until today.  I
simply hadn't noticed this until trying the NB10-vc4 binary today, and
wondering why editing was working OK out of the box without any
prompts.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Netbeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 4]

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018, 20:51 Emilian Bold <emilian.bold@gmail.com wrote:

> But we are talking about 'special' recommended plugins like nb-javac
> or perhaps beansbinding.

And the Apache legal position on linking to nb-javac included it being
optional and the end user explicitly accepting the license. I'm not sure
that could include accepting all similar plugins in one go unless they're
all listed up front.

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Netbeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 4]

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
But we are talking about 'special' recommended plugins like nb-javac
or perhaps beansbinding.

--emi

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> When asking the user for permission it would be great if a "yes don't
ask me again" option was present and also a "accept all recommend
plugins".

I like this idea.

--emi

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 17:45, Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We shouldn't attempt to release with known blockers.

Yes, but to be fair 1733 wasn't a known blocker until I reported as
part of this vote!  And I guess 1159 should have been marked as a
blocker, but isn't.

> Wouldn't it be better to have a query into JIRA to locate the blockers as (open) high
> priority issues?

Well, there's a blocker priority in JIRA.  Maybe we also need to be
clearer how / when it's used?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
The problem is that new blockers are discovered during the vote.

Recommendations for next release — (1) include nb-javac installation as
part of the NetCAT test specs, to catch related problems early, (2) try to
identify as many potentially problematic areas as possible and include them
in NetCAT, (3) put together a release check list, e.g., (a) check there are
no JARs in release, (b) check there is no ‘dev’ in About box, (c) update
splash screens, (d) update keyboard shortcut card, etc.

Also, maybe we should have a phone conference a week before the PPMC vote
(from the next release onwards, i.e., for Apache NetBeans 11) to sync up
and make sure everyone is on the same page (and then report back to the dev
mailing list etc).

Gj

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well, I did not dare to include any more code changes to the vc4, as vc3
has been almost released.

Unfortunately PR#973 has no corresponding JIRA issue which makes it a
bit harder to weigh the importance of that patch regarding the release.

I can cut a vc5 if we feel this is a blocker and probably include a
couple of more polish patch as well, as it seems we are still have some
cruft over the edges...

I'm going to extend the RM checklist on the wiki, trusting the release
job, checking checksums, build + start are clearly not enough.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
I've been running vc3 for Java EE development for the past few weeks.  Working great.  Built vc4 today and it seems to be working well also.  Once those last few issues are taken care of then I think this will be a solid release.

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Looks good hence approved your PR.

Thanks Junichi!
-Jirka

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
Created a PR:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1030

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "Luff,Chris" <Ch...@Cerner.com.INVALID>.
+1

Associate Principal Software Engineer | IP Development - Care Insight and Delivery Dev | chris.luff@cerner.com<ma...@cerner.com> | Cerner Limited<http://www.cerner.com/>

See more at: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fissues.apache.org%2Fjira%2Fbrowse%2FNETBEANS-1719&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=BTwNE5pshvbZCzTvFnlUxd3%2BOpyQxSAbZ%2BNdI96njZA%3D&amp;reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdist.apache.org%2Frepos%2Fdist%2Fdev%2Fincubator%2Fnetbeans%2Fincubating-netbeans%2Fincubating-10.0-vc4%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=onlIEwL2GyTn5FAJ2yNvoNFQz5Kr3mvGwOqvb5rHLF0%3D&amp;reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fincubator-netbeans%2Fblob%2Frelease100%2FREADME.md&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=crls7eFvqPhPDTTf5ue%2FKGQqj%2BRETKCXJyKzQVrdjAk%3D&amp;reserved=0

SHA1: 028b47ca10118e616208e4949fb79c2e38d74fd5

KEYS file:

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdist.apache.org%2Frepos%2Fdist%2Frelease%2Fincubator%2Fnetbeans%2FKEYS&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=WUvZhapnp7ZqVWf0l2ZlhyAfomtce4VXdPq83f8AziQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 10.0-vc4 :
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fincubator-netbeans%2Ftree%2F10.0-vc4&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=9mAlcPvYugXGzCMVog1chBeoRkhZZagxtr%2Fr7Kk1fwc%3D&amp;reserved=0

Note: NetBeans license violation checks are managed via the rat-exclusions.txt file:

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fincubator-netbeans%2Fblob%2Frelease100%2Fnbbuild%2Frat-exclusions.txt&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=MPIHIxodYfWKVmeCw%2B5z%2FhoVL59COHIqqcdxi%2FS8ERY%3D&amp;reserved=0

Rat report shows no unknown licenses, except for license files:

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbuilds.apache.org%2Fjob%2Fincubator-netbeans-release%2F370%2Fartifact%2Frat-release-temp%2Fnbbuild%2Fbuild%2Frat-report.txt&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=Ycnrkz%2FkBqcOD8LDZN9YpOo1tcZB2xSOwPXLMUo9KKo%3D&amp;reserved=0

Included as a convenience binary, not relevant for the voting purposes (unzip it, run it and you'll see Apache NetBeans):

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdist.apache.org%2Frepos%2Fdist%2Fdev%2Fincubator%2Fnetbeans%2Fincubating-netbeans%2Fincubating-10.0-vc4%2Fincubating-netbeans-10.0-vc4-bin.zip&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=80mcbVK%2F4oyfiPqJjMH3miKE7g7KajWfEkel0RE3yG4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Release specific wiki page:

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcwiki.apache.org%2Fconfluence%2Fdisplay%2FNETBEANS%2FApache%2BNetBeans%2B10&amp;data=02%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7C14e899c030314b331df208d6500c1621%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C636784410201275895&amp;sdata=ifrJ9aC7snBLKXLh9FSRx3OwQM3pKMSKLOM6P%2BtLKJQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

How (and what) to try out the release:

1. Download the artifact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Check that the artifact does not contain any jar files,
  save the: platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar
3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
4. Build it using the README provided by the artifact.
5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by the build process.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024. Cerner Limited, Registered in England no 2519305, Registered Office 37 North Wharf Road, London W2 1AF.