Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Carl Pickering <ca...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/25 11:02:29 UTC

Unable to create snapshot from Volume

Hi there,

I'm having an issue when attempting to create a volume from an existing
snapshot...

I've created a snapshot of a volume that contains data, and I can see it
present from within Storage > Volumes > Snapshots with a status of Backed Up

When I attempt to use Rightscale to create the volume I get the following
failure from within CloudStack.

ERROR [cloud.api.ApiDispatcher] (Job-Executor-47:job-1550) Exception while
executing CreateVolumeCmd:
com.cloud.utils.exception.CloudRuntimeException: Unable to create volume
from snapshot 277 due to null
        at
com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.createVolumeFromSnapshot(StorageManagerImpl.java:588)
        at
com.cloud.utils.db.DatabaseCallback.intercept(DatabaseCallback.java:30)
        at
com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.createVolumeFromSnapshot(StorageManagerImpl.java:623)
        at
com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.createVolume(StorageManagerImpl.java:1790)
        at
com.cloud.utils.component.ComponentLocator$InterceptorDispatcher.intercept(ComponentLocator.java:1185)
        at
com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.createVolume(StorageManagerImpl.java:198)
        at
com.cloud.api.commands.CreateVolumeCmd.execute(CreateVolumeCmd.java:160)
        at com.cloud.api.ApiDispatcher.dispatch(ApiDispatcher.java:132)
        at
com.cloud.async.AsyncJobManagerImpl$1.run(AsyncJobManagerImpl.java:427)
        at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
        at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

I'm using CloudStack 3.0.2 with XenServer..

My volumes disk space look as follows (mounted on a temp server to get
values):
cloudstack-sec.zone.mydomain.com:/vol/CLOUDSTACK_02         250G   28G
223G  11% /mnt/cs-sec

Can anyone shed any light?

Carl

RE: Unable to create snapshot from Volume

Posted by Carl Pickering <Ca...@TraderMedia.co.uk>.
Hi there Ahmad,

The log I posted is all I can see when the process attempts.. Are there other logs I can check/change verbosity within log4j?

Carl

Carl Pickering
Systems Engineer | | Trader Media Group
Willow House, Woodlands Business Park, Newton-le-Willows, Cheshire, WA12 0HE
tel | +441616699153   mob | +44 7525 405539

Can you post more of the logs? Feel free to add them here:
http://paste.cloudstack.org/

hopefully it will shed more light and we can figure out whats going wrong.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM, Carl Pickering <carl.pickering.cs@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm having an issue when attempting to create a volume from an
> existing snapshot...
>
> I've created a snapshot of a volume that contains data, and I can see
> it present from within Storage > Volumes > Snapshots with a status of
> Backed Up
>
> When I attempt to use Rightscale to create the volume I get the
> following failure from within CloudStack.
>
> ERROR [cloud.api.ApiDispatcher] (Job-Executor-47:job-1550) Exception
> while executing CreateVolumeCmd:
> com.cloud.utils.exception.CloudRuntimeException: Unable to create
> volume from snapshot 277 due to null
>         at
>
> com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.createVolumeFromSnapshot(StorageManagerImpl.java:588)
>         at
> com.cloud.utils.db.DatabaseCallback.intercept(DatabaseCallback.java:30)
>         at
>
> com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.createVolumeFromSnapshot(StorageManagerImpl.java:623)
>         at
>
> com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.createVolume(StorageManagerImpl.java:1790)
>         at
>
> com.cloud.utils.component.ComponentLocator$InterceptorDispatcher.intercept(ComponentLocator.java:1185)
>         at
>
> com.cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl.createVolume(StorageManagerImpl.java:198)
>         at
> com.cloud.api.commands.CreateVolumeCmd.execute(CreateVolumeCmd.java:160)
>         at com.cloud.api.ApiDispatcher.dispatch(ApiDispatcher.java:132)
>         at
> com.cloud.async.AsyncJobManagerImpl$1.run(AsyncJobManagerImpl.java:427)
>         at
>         at
> java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
>         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
>         at

>         at

> I'm using CloudStack 3.0.2 with XenServer..
>
> My volumes disk space look as follows (mounted on a temp server to get
> values):
> cloudstack-sec.zone.mydomain.com:/vol/CLOUDSTACK_02         250G   28G
> 223G  11% /mnt/cs-sec
>
> Can anyone shed any light?
>
> Carl

This e-mail is sent on behalf of Trader Media Group Limited, Registered Office: Auto Trader House, Cutbush Park Industrial Estate, Danehill, Lower Earley, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 4UT(Registered in England No. 4768833). This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be legally privileged, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

Re: Unable to create snapshot from Volume

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
Hi there Carl,