Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by St...@ext.ec.europa.eu on 2007/03/12 19:42:32 UTC

Developping on a ReadOnly repository

Hi,

I'm working on a project with an external 'vendor' who give us a readonly access to his subversion repository.

I (and other people on the project) have to modify the vendor source and send changes with the subversion patch feature.
--> We collaborate to his project

Problem is we (me and my collegua) should like to have a local repository.
(--> we should like to share between us our dailly work and have a "backup/history/..." of our work).

How can we do that???

Thanks a lot.

Stephane

Re: Developping on a ReadOnly repository

Posted by "Daniele P." <da...@interline.it>.
On Monday 12 March 2007 21:42, Flavio Stanchina wrote:
> AFAIK, it's not possible with Subversion alone. It would be easy to
> do with git

There is also svk, based on subversion. Each developer could track
his branch and patches or you could setup a mirror for the whole
team. See below.

> You can of course set up a local Subversion repository that you
> initialize with the vendor's sources

Have a look to SVK Dual Independant Repository Development at
http://www.nshb.net/node/71 to see if it's right for you.

Rergards,
Daniele P.

Re: Developping on a ReadOnly repository

Posted by Flavio Stanchina <fl...@stanchina.net>.
Stephane.CLINCKART@ext.ec.europa.eu wrote:
> Problem is we (me and my collegua) should like to have a local repository.
> (--> we should like to share between us our dailly work and have a "backup/history/..." of our work).

AFAIK, it's not possible with Subversion alone. It would be easy to do with
git: you could set up a local shared repository where your developers push
changes and then you send diffs to the vendor from there (or ask him to pull).

You can of course set up a local Subversion repository that you initialize
with the vendor's sources (possibly by obtaining a full repository dump, if
you want to have previous history), but the two repos would drift apart as
time went by.

Maybe you could ask for read/write access to a branch for your own use?

--
Ciao, Flavio

Re: Developping on a ReadOnly repository

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 13, 2007, at 11:00, Stephane CLINCKART wrote:

>>> I'm working on a project with an external 'vendor' who give us a
>>> readonly access to his subversion repository.
>>>
>>> I (and other people on the project) have to modify the vendor
>>> source and send changes with the subversion patch feature.
>>> --> We collaborate to his project
>>>
>>> Problem is we (me and my collegua) should like to have a local
>>> repository.
>>> (--> we should like to share between us our dailly work and have a
>>> "backup/history/..." of our work).
>>>
>>> How can we do that???
>>
>> Look at the section on Vendor Branches in the Subversion Book at
>> http://svnbook.org/ and the svn_load_dirs.pl script. You can get an
>> export of the code from their repository. Then import it into your
>> repository (at, for example, /vendor/theircode/current). Then copy it
>> to make a tag (say, at /vendor/theircode/20070313, or /vendor/
>> theircode/1.2 if this is a specific version number of their code).
>> You then copy this to a place where you can work on it (like /
>> myproject/theircode) noting in the commit message that you're copying
>> version 20070313 of their code. At a later time when they have
>> updated their code, you can use svn_load_dirs.pl to update /vendor/
>> theircode/current with their then-current code, and copy it to a new
>> tag at, say, /vendor/theircode/20070402. Then you can use "svn merge
>> $REPO/vendor/theircode/20070313 $REPO/vendor/theircode/20070402" to
>> update /myproject/theircode to the 20070402 version. Make sure to
>> note in the commit message to which version you are updating their
>> code, so that you'll know from what version to merge next time you
>> need to update it. But by following this recipe, you can keep making
>> changes in /myproject/theircode, while picking up new changes of
>> theirs out of the version you import into /vendor/theircode.
> Another question binded to this solution.
>
> When I try to merge 2 differents version I got an error:
> "Skipped missing target"
>
> I think this occur when I try to merge rev 2 to rev 1 into trunk
> when file or folder exist in rev 2 and not in rev 1.
>
> How can I "force" the merge to copy new file/folder from rev 2 to
> trunk???

It sounds like you might not be issuing the correct merge command.
Would you show us the merge command you're issuing?

RE: Re: Developping on a ReadOnly repository

Posted by St...@ext.ec.europa.eu.
Hi,

Thanks for help.

Another question binded to this solution.

When I try to merge 2 differents version I got an error:
"Skipped missing target"

I think this occur when I try to merge rev 2 to rev 1 into trunk
when file or folder exist in rev 2 and not in rev 1.

How can I "force" the merge to copy new file/folder from rev 2 to trunk???

Thanks.

Stephane

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.