Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "William H. Mitchell" <wh...@MitchellSoftwareEngineering.com> on 2008/01/02 21:25:37 UTC

Orchestra Conversation vs. ConversationContext timeout

In the code for Orchestra 1.0 I see that Conversation seems to have
no default timeout (by virtue of 'timeout = -1' in
ConversationTimeoutableAspect) but ConversationContext has a default
timeout of 30 minutes.

With the ConversationContext timeout in mind it seems that if one
takes no special measures, Conversations have a default timeout of 30 minutes.

Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Re: HttpSession timeout/invalidation handling in Orchestra?

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
Hi William,

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 14:35 -0700, William H. Mitchell wrote:
> I've spent a while digging around in the Orchestra code to figure out
> how Orchestra responds to the termination of a session (e.g. a call
> to HttpSession.invalidate()) but I'm still fuzzy on it.
>
> Can anybody comment on how Orchestra handles this and/or steer me
> towards the code involved?

All the Conversation/ConversationContext objects are stored in the
session. So if the session is invalidated they get deleted.

What is recommended practice is for there to be a "controller" bean for
each page, and the bean always checks to see whether the conversation it
expects to exist does actually exist. If not, it forwards back to an
appropriate "start page". See the "best practice" section on the
Orchestra website.

If this check is not present, then when a conversation-scoped bean is
referenced (from an EL expression, or via a proxy bean) then a new
instance of the conversation will be created, and then a new instance of
the bean will be created and added to that conversation.

Regards,

Simon