Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mihály Tóth <mi...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/27 06:57:34 UTC

Re: Help needed in R documentation generation

Hi,

Actually, when I open the link you provided and click on - for example -
'sin' the page does not seem to describe that function at all. Actually I
get same effect that I get locally. I have attached a screenshot about that:

[image: Szövegközi kép 1]

I tried with Chrome and then with Safari too and got the same result.

When I go to https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/R/index.html (Spark
2.2.1) and select 'sin' I get a proper Description, Usage, Arguments, etc.
sections.

This sounds like a bug in the documentation of Spark R, does'nt it? Shall I
file a Jira about it?

Best Regards,

  Misi

Posted by Mihály Tóth <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm, definitely not. Sorry and thanks for replying.

  Misi

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mihály Tóth <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
Ok, it sounds like this was the intended behavior of the doc
changes... I'm not an R developer, so maybe the new docs make enough
sense, but the previous ones did look nicer.

--
Marcelo

Re: Help needed in R documentation generation

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: Help needed in R documentation generation

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: Help needed in R documentation generation

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
I think what you are calling out is discoverability of names from index - I agree this should be improved.

There are several reasons for this change, if I recall, some are:

- we have too many doc pages and a very long index page because of the atypical large number of functions - many R packages only have dozens (or a dozen) and we have hundreds; this also affects discoverability

- a side effect of high number of functions is that we have hundreds of pages of cross links between functions in the same and different categories that are very hard to read or find

- many function examples are too simple or incomplete - it would be good to make them runnable, for instance

From: Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>>
Date: 2018-02-26 20:42 GMT+00:00
To: Mihály Tóth <mi...@gmail.com>>
Cc: "dev@spark.apache.org<ma...@spark.apache.org>" <de...@spark.apache.org>>