Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com> on 2003/01/06 11:23:41 UTC

Bidi implementation

Hello there!

In fop team we are considering now how to implement bidi support in fop and
one of ideas is somehow to make use of batik's bidi implementation. What do
you think about it, is it feasible?

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: Bidi implementation

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Thomas E Deweese wrote:

>     There are a few 'SVG specific' things that are part of text layout
> in Batik (like text on a path), that might make it a bit more
> difficult than ideal.
>
>     What sort of API are you hoping for, what do you provide what do
> you want back?

Well, according to the spec we have to make all implicit directionality
explicit, i.e. for each run in a bidi text should exist formatting object with
  "direction" property that match resolved embedded level. Therefore looks
like we need pure Bidi API and not rendering-oriented one as all that stuff is
taking place far from rendering, so there is no graphics, no fonts etc.

Re: Bidi implementation

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Vincent Hardy wrote:

> You may also want to have a look at:
>
> batik.gvt.text.BidiAttributedCharacterIterator
>
> as it may provide a least some of the low level functionality you want.
Yes, it looks like what I was looking for, (it requires FontRendererContext,
I'll try to provide dummy one with identity transformation). Thanks, Vincent.

> Also, if you can rely on JDK 1.4, you could use the java.text.Bidi class
> that should provide the functionality you need.
I know, but we have to support 1.3 or even 1.2.

Re: Bidi implementation

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Hello Oleg,

You may also want to have a look at:

batik.gvt.text.BidiAttributedCharacterIterator

as it may provide a least some of the low level functionality you want.

Also, if you can rely on JDK 1.4, you could use the java.text.Bidi class
that should provide the functionality you need.

Vincent.

RE: Bidi implementation

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.