Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by William Boutin <wi...@ericsson.com> on 2017/04/05 12:36:34 UTC

Making a Cassandra node cluster unique

Someone on my team asked me a question that I could not find an easy answer and I was hoping someone could answer for me.
When we configure Cassandra, we use the Cluster Name, Data Center, and Rack to define the group of Cassandra nodes involved in holding our keyspace records. If a second set of nodes had the same Cluster Name, Data Center, and Rack values, is there a chance that CRUD actions directed at the first cluster of nodes could somehow end up at the second cluster of nodes?
Thank you in advance.

[Ericsson]<http://www.ericsson.com/>

WILLIAM L. BOUTIN
Engineer IV - Sftwr
BMDA PADB DSE DU CC NGEE

Ericsson
1 Ericsson Drive, US PI06 1.S747
Piscataway, NJ, 08854, USA
Phone (913) 241-5574
Mobile (732) 213-1368
Emergency (732) 354-1263
william.boutin@ericsson.com
www.ericsson.com
[http://www.ericsson.com/current_campaign]<http://www.ericsson.com/current_campaign>
Legal entity: EUS - ERICSSON INC., registered office in US PI01 4A242. This Communication is Confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer<http://www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer>

Re: Making a Cassandra node cluster unique

Posted by Matija Gobec <ma...@gmail.com>.
You CAN have two separate clusters with same name and configuration.
Separation of the clusters is just a matter of defining seed nodes
properly. That being said, it doesn't mean you SHOULD have clusters with
same name.
We usually run same cluster name when testing on test/stage cluster and
deploying same hardware and configuration as a "production" cluster but
they are always in different physical networks and/or VPCs. Just make sure
nodes from one cluster can't see nodes from a seconds one and you are fine.

Posted by Hannu Kröger <hk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,