Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by rk...@charter.net on 2013/04/26 22:59:30 UTC

M/R job to a cluster?

I suspect that my MapReduce job is being run locally. I don't have any
evidence but I am not sure how the specifics of my configuration are
communicated to the Java code that I write. Based on the text that I
have read online basically I start with code like:

JobClient client = new JobClient();
JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);
. . . . .

Where do I communicate the configuration information so that the M/R job
runs on the cluster and not locally? Or is the configuration location
"magically determined"?

Thank you.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
To validate if your jobs are running locally, look for the classname
"LocalJobRunner" in the runtime output.

Configs are sourced either from the classpath (if a dir or jar on the
classpath has the XMLs at their root, they're read), or via the code
(conf.set("mapred.job.tracker", "foo:349");) or also via -D parameters
if you use Tool.

The tool + classpath way is usually the best thing to do, for flexibility.

--
Harsh J

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
This is one of the reasons we set up edge nodes in the cluster. This is a node where Hadoop is loaded yet none of the Hadoop services are running . This allows jobs to automatically pick up the right Hadoop configuration from the node and point to the right cluster.

The edge nodes are used for staging jobs and data import in to the cluster. Maybe run he MySQL data store there and also hive and pig jobs....

HTH

Mike Segel

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Kevin Burton <rk...@charter.net>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Kevin Burton <rk...@charter.net>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Kevin Burton <rk...@charter.net>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by Kevin Burton <rk...@charter.net>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kevin,

In the case:
JobClient client = new JobClient();
JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);

Job client(default in local system) picks  configuration information  by
referring HADOOP_HOME in local system.

if your job configuration like this:
*Configuration conf = new Configuration();*
*conf.set("fs.default.name", "hdfs://name_node:9000");*
*conf.set("mapred.job.tracker", "job_tracker_node:9001");*

It pickups configuration information  by referring HADOOP_HOME in specified
namenode and job tracker.

Regards,
Sudhakara.st

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 2:52 AM, Kevin Burton <rk...@charter.net>wrote:

> It is hdfs://devubuntu05:9000. Is this wrong? Devubuntu05 is the name of
> the host where the NameNode and JobTracker should be running. It is also
> the host where I am running the M/R client code.
>
> On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Rishi Yadav <ri...@infoobjects.com> wrote:
>
> check core-site.xml and see value of fs.default.name. if it has localhost
> you are running locally.
>

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM, <rk...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I suspect that my MapReduce job is being run locally. I don't have any
>> evidence but I am not sure how the specifics of my configuration are
>> communicated to the Java code that I write. Based on the text that I have
>> read online basically I start with code like:
>>
>> JobClient client = new JobClient();
>> JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);
>> . . . . .
>>
>> Where do I communicate the configuration information so that the M/R job
>> runs on the cluster and not locally? Or is the configuration location
>> "magically determined"?
>>
>> Thank you.

.....  Sudhakara.st

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kevin,

In the case:
JobClient client = new JobClient();
JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);

Job client(default in local system) picks  configuration information  by
referring HADOOP_HOME in local system.

if your job configuration like this:
*Configuration conf = new Configuration();*
*conf.set("fs.default.name", "hdfs://name_node:9000");*
*conf.set("mapred.job.tracker", "job_tracker_node:9001");*

It pickups configuration information  by referring HADOOP_HOME in specified
namenode and job tracker.

Regards,
Sudhakara.st

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 2:52 AM, Kevin Burton <rk...@charter.net>wrote:

> It is hdfs://devubuntu05:9000. Is this wrong? Devubuntu05 is the name of
> the host where the NameNode and JobTracker should be running. It is also
> the host where I am running the M/R client code.
>
> On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Rishi Yadav <ri...@infoobjects.com> wrote:
>
> check core-site.xml and see value of fs.default.name. if it has localhost
> you are running locally.
>

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM, <rk...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I suspect that my MapReduce job is being run locally. I don't have any
>> evidence but I am not sure how the specifics of my configuration are
>> communicated to the Java code that I write. Based on the text that I have
>> read online basically I start with code like:
>>
>> JobClient client = new JobClient();
>> JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);
>> . . . . .
>>
>> Where do I communicate the configuration information so that the M/R job
>> runs on the cluster and not locally? Or is the configuration location
>> "magically determined"?
>>
>> Thank you.

.....  Sudhakara.st

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kevin,

In the case:
JobClient client = new JobClient();
JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);

Job client(default in local system) picks  configuration information  by
referring HADOOP_HOME in local system.

if your job configuration like this:
*Configuration conf = new Configuration();*
*conf.set("fs.default.name", "hdfs://name_node:9000");*
*conf.set("mapred.job.tracker", "job_tracker_node:9001");*

It pickups configuration information  by referring HADOOP_HOME in specified
namenode and job tracker.

Regards,
Sudhakara.st

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 2:52 AM, Kevin Burton <rk...@charter.net>wrote:

> It is hdfs://devubuntu05:9000. Is this wrong? Devubuntu05 is the name of
> the host where the NameNode and JobTracker should be running. It is also
> the host where I am running the M/R client code.
>
> On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Rishi Yadav <ri...@infoobjects.com> wrote:
>
> check core-site.xml and see value of fs.default.name. if it has localhost
> you are running locally.
>

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM, <rk...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I suspect that my MapReduce job is being run locally. I don't have any
>> evidence but I am not sure how the specifics of my configuration are
>> communicated to the Java code that I write. Based on the text that I have
>> read online basically I start with code like:
>>
>> JobClient client = new JobClient();
>> JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);
>> . . . . .
>>
>> Where do I communicate the configuration information so that the M/R job
>> runs on the cluster and not locally? Or is the configuration location
>> "magically determined"?
>>
>> Thank you.

.....  Sudhakara.st

Re: M/R job to a cluster?

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kevin,

In the case:
JobClient client = new JobClient();
JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);

Job client(default in local system) picks  configuration information  by
referring HADOOP_HOME in local system.

if your job configuration like this:
*Configuration conf = new Configuration();*
*conf.set("fs.default.name", "hdfs://name_node:9000");*
*conf.set("mapred.job.tracker", "job_tracker_node:9001");*

It pickups configuration information  by referring HADOOP_HOME in specified
namenode and job tracker.

Regards,
Sudhakara.st

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 2:52 AM, Kevin Burton <rk...@charter.net>wrote:

> It is hdfs://devubuntu05:9000. Is this wrong? Devubuntu05 is the name of
> the host where the NameNode and JobTracker should be running. It is also
> the host where I am running the M/R client code.
>
> On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Rishi Yadav <ri...@infoobjects.com> wrote:
>
> check core-site.xml and see value of fs.default.name. if it has localhost
> you are running locally.
>

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM, <rk...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I suspect that my MapReduce job is being run locally. I don't have any
>> evidence but I am not sure how the specifics of my configuration are
>> communicated to the Java code that I write. Based on the text that I have
>> read online basically I start with code like:
>>
>> JobClient client = new JobClient();
>> JobConf conf - new JobConf(WordCount.class);
>> . . . . .
>>
>> Where do I communicate the configuration information so that the M/R job
>> runs on the cluster and not locally? Or is the configuration location
>> "magically determined"?
>>
>> Thank you.

.....  Sudhakara.st

Re: M/R job to a cluster?