Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Peter N. Lundblad" <lu...@softhome.net> on 2004/04/27 19:45:23 UTC

Unused error codes

Hi,

I'm translating the generic error messages and finding (hard to
translate:-) error codes that don't seem to be used in the code. Should
they be removed or may they be used in the future? The following cods are
unused according to my find and grepping:
XML_MISSING_ANCESTRY
PIPE_FRAME_ERROR
PIPE_READ_ERROR
and maybe more. Should I send patches to remove them?

Regards,
//Peter

Re: Unused error codes

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <lu...@softhome.net>.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2004 kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Jon Foster <jo...@jon-foster.co.uk> writes:
> > Is it worth marking them @deprecated so whoever prepares 2.0 knows
> > to remove them?
>
> I think so.  Want to make the patch?  (Pretty easy, just adding
> comments).
>
> I promise to review it if you do :-).

OK, Karl. Please fulfill your promise:-) Here is a patch that deprecates
about 20 messages that I didn't find in the svn codebase. I realize that
some of them may be intended for the future or for external plugins or
authentication providers, so please be careful. I tried to compile with
the errors commented out just to make sure. Also, is this the right way to
mark the codes as deprecated?

Hope it's useful
//Peter

Re: Unused error codes

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Jon Foster <jo...@jon-foster.co.uk> writes:
> Is it worth marking them @deprecated so whoever prepares 2.0 knows
> to remove them?

I think so.  Want to make the patch?  (Pretty easy, just adding
comments).

I promise to review it if you do :-).

-K

Re: Unused error codes

Posted by Jon Foster <jo...@jon-foster.co.uk>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>>I'm translating the generic error messages and finding (hard to
>>translate:-) error codes that don't seem to be used in the code. Should
>>they be removed or may they be used in the future? The following cods are
>>unused according to my find and grepping:
>>XML_MISSING_ANCESTRY
>>PIPE_FRAME_ERROR
>>PIPE_READ_ERROR
>>and maybe more. Should I send patches to remove them?
>

> Our compatibility guidelines demand backward compatibility which effectively
> prohibits the removal of these constants until 2.0. So: thanks for the
> offer, but no there is no need for any patches...

Is it worth marking them @deprecated so whoever prepares 2.0 knows to remove them?

Kind regards,

Jon

Re: Unused error codes

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> I'm translating the generic error messages and finding (hard to
> translate:-) error codes that don't seem to be used in the code. Should
> they be removed or may they be used in the future? The following cods are
> unused according to my find and grepping:
> XML_MISSING_ANCESTRY
> PIPE_FRAME_ERROR
> PIPE_READ_ERROR
> and maybe more. Should I send patches to remove them?

Our compatibility guidelines demand backward compatibility which effectively
prohibits the removal of these constants until 2.0. So: thanks for the
offer, but no there is no need for any patches...

bye,

Erik.

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL