Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Ahmed Dini <as...@hotmail.com> on 2009/07/27 10:18:56 UTC

New contributor

Hello Everyone.

First of all, I would like congratulate everyone involved in the development
and maintenance of Ofbiz project for the wonderful Job done so far.
Although, I have not contributed to the project yet, I have always been a
great fan of Obiz. I have been learning about Ofbiz since my final year
project at University about a year and half a go as I have chosen it for my
project which was about ERP solutions. I have gone through the entire
tutorial I could find and also bought and studied the advanced framework
tutorials by David.

Now I am ready to participate in the development of Ofbiz project. I have
read the Ofbiz Contributors Best Practice and yet I feel I might mess up
things. Just a fear of starting.  I know Ofbiz contributors have their own
tight schedules and problems but I think to bring new contributors on board,
it would be a good Idea if every new contributor could be assigned a
committer or an experienced contributor as a mentor until the new
contributor is confident enough to work on his/her own.
The advantage is the assigned committer or the experienced contributor can
follow closely the growing experience and capabilities of the new
contributor, assign them Jira issues they know the new contributor can fix.
A lot of people including me feel comfortable in working under guidance
particularly when trying new things especially if they are new graduates or
have not commercial experience.

Please let me know if you have a quick way I can get started.  Under WorkLog
in my Jira account, it says
You don't have permission to work on this issue for every Jira Issue I open
no matter what status it is in. Does that mean I can't do anything to any
Issue, also can I assign an Issue to myself?

Regards,
Ahmed

Re: New contributor

Posted by Ahmed Dini <as...@hotmail.com>.
Hello Scott,

Thanks for your advice, I will follow your advice.

Re: New contributor

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Ahmed

Re: New contributor