Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Blaxton <bl...@yahoo.com> on 2011/12/16 04:27:54 UTC

Change Default SSL port on Tomcat

Hi

Apache 2.2 is connected to Tomcat 6.0.29 through mod_jk and all works fine.

uncommented Connector port=8443 and by adding required fields in web.xml
accessing secured pages would be forwarded to https with port 8443,
but when I change the port from 8443 to 443, the same URL that was
working with 8443, I get "Secure Connection Failed"

is there any thing else I need to do to change the default SSL port ?

did following steps to change the SSL port from Tomcat default to 443 but got

1-  Generated /root/.keystore with following command:
%JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

2- then uncommented following lines in server.xml
<Connector port="443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

3- <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="443"/>

4- restarted tomcat

Re: Change Default SSL port on Tomcat

Posted by Blaxton <bl...@yahoo.com>.

________________________________
> [...]
>>

>> did following steps to change the SSL port from Tomcat default to 443 but got
>>

>> 1-  Generated /root/.keystore with following command:
>> %JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
>>

>> 2- then uncommented following lines in server.xml
>> <Connector port="443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>> maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>> clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
>
> Did you add the keystore to the connector?

>> 3- <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="443"/>
>>

>> 4- restarted tomcat

> yes, I did add the keystore to the connector as well and didn't work either.
> as a matter of fact I followed following link step by step
>
> http://techtracer.com/2007/09/12/setting-up-ssl-on-tomcat-in-3-easy-steps/
>
> with keystore placed in Connector, I get following error in browser :
> SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
> (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)
>
> and nothing shows up in mod_jk.log
>
> with no keystore and default port 8443 in all Connectors either AJP
> or SSL port, every thing is working fine, and I get the certificate
> from the secured page and forwarded to https but as soon as I change
> the AJP Connector redirectport to 443, I get following error
> in mod_jk.log file:
>
> Secure Connection Failed
> An error occurred during a connection to mydomain.com.
> Peer's certificate has an invalid signature.
>
> with following config :
> Connector port="8443" and
> <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="443"/>
> following error shows up in mod_jk.log file:
> connecting to back end failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port (errno=61)
>
> again and finally , with
> Connector port="8443" and
> <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"/>
> everthing works fine and I will be forwarded to secure http and no problem.
>
> I think this has to do with mod_jk , this is the mod_jk that can not connect to port 443
> when default port is changing to 443.
>
> to make sure , I added the required JkMount /* to vhost1_httpd.conf for port 443 as well.
>
> one question :
> according to following url :
>
> To define a Java (JSSE) connector, regardless of whether the APR library
>  is loaded or not do:
> I need to have one of the following in server.xml file:
>

> <-- Define a blocking Java SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
> <Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
> port="8443" .../>
>
> <-- Define a non-blocking Java SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
> <Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
> port="8443" .../>
>

> I added following lines to server.xml
>
> <!-- Define a non-blocking Java SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
> <Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" port="8443" />

Sorry, I read this on my phone I missed the first bit.

If you're using mod_jk/AJP then you do the SSL decoding before sending
traffic to Tomcat.

HTTPD:80  -->
                Tomcat:8009
HTTPD:443 -->

You should configure SSL on HTTPD instead.

[key:62590808]

Then how the default 8443 works fine with the same URL ?

following is set in vhost1_httpd.conf
JkMount /app1/* worker1

so , all URLs containing /app1/ should be forwarded to Tomcat to be processed regardless of the port
and that what is happening when redirectport=8443 is set in AJP Connector
and accessing http://www.mydomain.com/app1/securelocation/ will be redirected to
https://mydomain.com:8443/app1/securelocation/

but as soon as the redirectport is changed in AJP Connector to 443 ,
it won't work.

unless we assume , port 8443 will be processed by Tomcat
but port 443 should be processed by Apache !!!!!!!!!

Re: Change Default SSL port on Tomcat

Posted by Blaxton <bl...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.