Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> on 2013/10/24 21:18:03 UTC

Proposal to move Hive Apache Jenkins jobs to Bigtop Jenkins?

Hey guys,

Hive doesn't have any dedicated Apache Jenkins executors and sometimes
our precommit jobs wait for hours to execute.  I'd like to move our
jenkins jobs to the BigTop jenkins.

Post move, the Hive project would remain 100% responsible for
maintaining and debugging our jobs. The only thing I see required on
the BigTop front is creating accounts for the hive team members who
need access.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Brock

Re: Proposal to move Hive Apache Jenkins jobs to Bigtop Jenkins?

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
Thank you guys so much!

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
Thank you guys so much!

Posted by Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>.
Done!

Posted by Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>.
Done!

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 08:51PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> > Ok sounds good. FWIW, the code that will actually execute on the Jenkins
> > slave is actually just a very lightweight REST client that communicates
> > with our "parallel test" service.
>
> Can you please provide more details on this?
>
> > My username is brock.
>
> I gave you perms to manipulate the jobs. Go wild ;-)

In some definition of "wild", if course ;)

Cos

Re: Proposal to move Hive Apache Jenkins jobs to Bigtop Jenkins?

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> > Ok sounds good. FWIW, the code that will actually execute on the Jenkins
> > slave is actually just a very lightweight REST client that communicates
> > with our "parallel test" service.
>
> Can you please provide more details on this?

Our unit tests take like 15 hours if run sequentially so we wrote this

https://github.com/apache/hive/tree/trunk/testutils/ptest2

to execute them in parallel. It executes on a dedicated host and the
jenkins job is just a client of said server.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Ok sounds good. FWIW, the code that will actually execute on the Jenkins
> slave is actually just a very lightweight REST client that communicates
> with our "parallel test" service.

Can you please provide more details on this?

> My username is brock.

I gave you perms to manipulate the jobs. Go wild ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Proposal to move Hive Apache Jenkins jobs to Bigtop Jenkins?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
Ok sounds good. FWIW, the code that will actually execute on the Jenkins
slave is actually just a very lightweight REST client that communicates
with our "parallel test" service.

My username is brock.

Hive Dev:  I think that at least two more committers should create accounts
so we don't have a bus factor here.

Brock

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.