Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Dobedani _ <st...@my-deja.com> on 2001/10/15 11:03:29 UTC

$Server->CreateObject only on Windows?

Hi there,

So far I am using ASP under M$ IIS - mostly with VBScript. I however see many advantages in using PerlScript, e.g. the fact that with Apache::ASP my ASP web applications will then become cross-platform.

Under IIS I tend to build ActiveX DLL's (e.g. with Delphi), which I invoke from my script: $Server->CreateObject(ProgID) etc. I usu. make sure that MTS can manage these objects. I understand that in a way it is also possible to use $Server->CreateObject in a Apache::ASP script running under Windows. However, on other platforms, there seems to be no such possibility. Are features like this planned for a future release?

I am particularly interested to learn more about planned features for Linux. I guess the ActiveX DLL will have to be replaced by a shared object (built with e.g. Kylix?) and the COM / DCOM protocol may have to be replaced by CORBA or so. And what about Java servlets? I understand that Instant ASP from HalcyonSoft offers the possibility to invoke these with Server.CreateObject (using VBScript alas). TIA

Kind regards,
Dobedani

$curdir =~ tr/\\/\//; # convert Windows path to Unix path
Dobedani <do...@gmx.net>

Re: $Server->CreateObject only on Windows?

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Dobedani _ wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> So far I am using ASP under M$ IIS - mostly with VBScript. I however see many advantages in using PerlScript, e.g. the fact that with Apache::ASP my ASP web applications will then become cross-platform.
>
> Under IIS I tend to build ActiveX DLL's (e.g. with Delphi), which I invoke from my script: $Server->CreateObject(ProgID) etc. I usu. make sure that MTS can manage these objects. I understand that in a way it is also possible to use $Server->CreateObject in a Apache::ASP script running under Windows. However, on other platforms, there seems to be no such possibility. Are features like this planned for a future release?
>
> I am particularly interested to learn more about planned features for Linux. I guess the ActiveX DLL will have to be replaced by a shared object (built with e.g. Kylix?) and the COM / DCOM protocol may have to be replaced by CORBA or so. And what about Java servlets? I understand that Instant ASP from HalcyonSoft offers the possibility to invoke these with Server.CreateObject (using VBScript alas). TIA

If there is ever a free open source port of COM/DCOM, and
there exists a perl interface to it, it would be easy to
integrate for $Server->CreateObject() under unix.  There are
no such plans on the table however.

Until then, for greatest cross platform compatibility, I would
stay away from ActiveX, relying solely on perl objects to do
your encapsulated work ... also instead of using ADO for db
access, you can use perl's DBI. If you are not familiar with CPAN,
I would suggest you become so.  One of perl's virtues is CPAN,
which contains the collected work of some 1700+ authors:

  http://www.cpan.org/

--Josh