Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Lefty Leverenz <le...@hortonworks.com> on 2012/07/25 01:21:43 UTC

Hive CLI wikidoc review

The Hive CLI<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Cli>
wikidoc
differs slightly from the xdocs
version<http://hive.apache.org/docs/r0.9.0/language_manual/cli.html>
(source-controlled
xml file) and they both need updating, so I merged them into a single
wikidoc for review by this community.  You can find the draft here:  Revised
LanguageManual CLI<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Revised+LanguageManual+Cli>
.

After the wikidoc has been reviewed and fixed, I'll apply the same changes
to the xdocs version.  Eventually only one copy should remain, but that's a
separate issue.  I'll be revising more wikidocs as time permits; the CLI
doc is first because diverging copies can cause trouble.

Besides a simple merge, this draft includes technical changes based on
Thejas Nair's review comments as well as some editorial changes.  Please
let me know (or edit the draft) if you find any errors or want any changes.
 If more information is available, please provide it.

Q1:  In the "Hive Resources" section is the syntax for DELETE FILE | JAR |
ARCHIVE correct?

DELETE { FILE[S] | JAR[S] | ARCHIVE[S] } [<filepath1> <filepath2> ..]

Q2:  If DELETE does not require a filepath, what's the result – deleting *
all* files | jars | archives?

– Lefty Leverenz, *technical writer on a mission to improve Hive doc*s

Re: Hive CLI wikidoc review

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@hortonworks.com>.
Okay, we can get rid of the xdoc but what about this information from it?

     The cli when invoked without the -i option will attempt to load
     HIVE_HOME/bin/.hiverc and $HOME/.hiverc as initialization files.

Is it still useful, or should I delete it from the draft?

– Lefty

Re: Hive CLI wikidoc review

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.