Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/06/06 22:46:04 UTC

DTD & doc changes

I've made some changes to the current set of draft v11 dtds, reflecting
a number of issues that were addressed in the infamous element/attribute
vote, and then some more.

Summarizing:

* most elements that had title attributes were changed to have a title
child element instead:

  - the changes document root element <changes> -> Stefano / Nicola
  - the <section> element, of course
  - the <part> element (inside faq documents) ditto -> Diana!

* in the meantime, I changed some other things for consistency reasons

  - made the header required in doc-v11 docs - to make sure we don't
fall in the same trap as the old stylebook DTDs, where each document had
at least an s1 for title's sake
  - and I left some other things untouched which I plan to review in the
next days - expect nothing too special

* authors of the other DTDs should check them for the usage of
%title.att; - I've eradicated most, but not all, and I've seen that DTDs
are not necessarily in balance with each other (i.e. the <header>
approach sometimes differs, which I don't like) -> Diana, Stefano

* I might be forgetting other pressing changes in the DTDs, that we have
been discussing over the past few weeks - so if someone has a better
memory than I do, please get back to the list

* after this simple task, I ventured into manually upgrading the docs
inside Forrest CVS according to these changes, and I can assure you that
we need automated procedures next time ;-|

* I've patched the document2html in the forrest-site skin according to
these changes. We'll need to patch the other skins as well, and the
doclist pipeline (David?) too I guess. I have received a set of changes
from Bert (he's sorting out his CVS issues), which I will commit
tomorrow morning, and which will need to be upgraded accordingly. I'm
not going to do this all by myself ;-)

Anyway: please cross-check!

</Steven>

Re: DTD & doc changes

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Steven Noels wrote:
<snip/>

> * I've patched the document2html in the forrest-site skin according to
> these changes. We'll need to patch the other skins as well, and the
> doclist pipeline (David?) too I guess. I have received a set of changes
> from Bert (he's sorting out his CVS issues), which I will commit
> tomorrow morning, and which will need to be upgraded accordingly. I'm
> not going to do this all by myself ;-)
>
> Anyway: please cross-check!

OK. I have done a bit more today. I have fixed the doclist (ToC)
stylesheet and the others in src/resources/library/xslt/
(faq2document and howto2document) to use the new title element
instead of the title attribute.
--David

Re: patches to bert skin [was: RE: DTD & doc changes]

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
At 00:41 7/06/2002 +0200, you wrote:

> > doclist pipeline (David?) too I guess. I have received a set
> > of changes
> > from Bert (he's sorting out his CVS issues), which I will commit
> > tomorrow morning, and which will need to be upgraded accordingly. I'm
> > not going to do this all by myself ;-)
>
>Committed already. Building the updated content with the updated bert
>skin works fine, using the forrest-site skin (and perhaps others as
>well) fails with a {skindir}/xslt/html/tab2menu.xsl not found exception
>(which is logical since the sitemap & aggregation assumes a
>tab-generating pipeline is in place for each skin).

I'll take this up now.  Although I really don't have the time.  I
intruduced the system, so I'll make it work for all.
Bert

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
At 00:51 7/06/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Last one:
>
>Issue with bert skin (tab2menu): the stylesheet has a hard-coded base
>location 'xml-forrest' inside it.

Yes, indeed.  It's hardcoded in the tab2html.xsl.  I don't have an
alternative yet. :(
Maybe we should tackle this one first.
Can an extra entry in build.xml work?  That's where the target directory is
set and it can be overridden in the build process.

Bert

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.