Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Navin Chandra Mohan <na...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/04 14:09:21 UTC

Tomcat 10 and Java 17

Hello !!

I am using Tomcat 9.0.60 for my web and HTTP front end server applications,
with Java 8 on RHEL 7.8 OS. My plan is to update to Java 17 with RHEL 8 and
would like to clarify the below doubts, considering the fact that there are
no major architectural changes between 9 and 10 (it is mainly the javax to
jakarta package naming).

1. Is there a recommended version of Tomcat for Java 17. Tomcat 10 or the
10.1 (once it is released) or I can continue with the 9.0.60 release itself?
2. Once 10.1 is formally released, will all the common bug fixes be
available in Tomcat 9 and10 as well or at least in 10.

Thanks
Navin

RE: [EXTERNAL] Tomcat 10 and Java 17

Posted by "Hedrick, Brooke - 43" <br...@rainhail.com.INVALID>.
Navin,

You will probably want to switch to Tomcat 9.0.62 if you are using Spring MVC or Spring WebFlow due to a recent vulnerability.

-Brooke

Re: Tomcat 10 and Java 17

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/04/2022 08:18, Navin Chandra Mohan wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> Thanks for the input, based on the comments, we tried to update the Java
> version to 17, but we are facing conflict during compilation, error shown
> below . We have multiple modules using Tomcat in the existing Java 8 setup.
>
> * "The package org.apache.catalina.startup is accessible from more than one
> module: org.apache.tomcat.catalina, tomcat.bootstrap*
>
> *import org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat"*
>
> Can this be handled moving to Tomcat 10 or 10.1

If you are embedding Tomcat in your application then use the embedded
JARs. If you aren't embedding Tomcat, you shouldn't be referencing the
Tomcat JARs in your compilation.

Mark

Re: Tomcat 10 and Java 17

Posted by Navin Chandra Mohan <na...@gmail.com>.