Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2019/03/03 12:07:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP (take2)

Apache SkyWalking entered incubation in December of 2017. The SkyWalking community has learnt a lot about how to do things in The Apache Way.

The first time graduation was raised for discussion, five months ago, the IPMC thought SkyWalking was not yet ready because of issues around "Community growth and in particular how merit is recognised".

That pushback has been helpful, the community has become a more open and engaged community.

SkyWalking is making more consensus decisions via the ML, including discussions and decisions on issue, test, release, new committer and branding issues. Since the last graduation discussion, the community has voted in 9 new committers, 3 of them also as PPMC members.

SkyWalking has also helped Zipkin with podling learnings. And having a Zipkin mentor involved in the recent discussions about the role and mechanisms of the IPMC and the board, and any possible improvements that could be made to the Incubator, it's witnessed and had a positive experience on the importance of being involved in the broader Apache community.

After discussion in the podling's community on the dev ML
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9aab116a5df46d10a655bbf243f525260bad7763f6f65bce19ec33bd@%3Cdev.skywalking.apache.org%3E

…and no objections, I'm raising the thread here for further discussion.

Some stats and the proposed resolution is below, but let us know if there's any other information we can provide to re-assure that the podling is ready for graduation.

A few stats to help with the discussion:

SkyWalking has delivered 8 releases so far in total, and appears now to have a good cadence of successful releases.

During the podling's time in the Apache Incubator there has been
 3200+ commits on development of the project,
  378 Issues tagged as question in GitHub created, 373 resolved,
  850+ Pull request created and resolved, and
   97 different contributors.

The dev ML has had 72 participants.
 https://lists.apache.org/trends.html?dev@skywalking.apache.org:2019

Also please check out Apache Maturity Model Assessment for SkyWalking
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SKYWALKING/Apache+Maturity+Model+Assessment+for+SkyWalking

regards,
Mick Semb Wever (SkyWalking mentor)

======

Establish the Apache SkyWalking Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to application performance monitoring: especially for
microservice, Cloud Native and container-based architecture systems;
also known as a distributed tracing system. .

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache SkyWalking Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache SkyWalking Project be and hereby is
responsible for the creation and maintenance of software related to
application performance monitoring: especially for microservice, Cloud
Native and container-based architecture systems; also known as a
distributed tracing system. ; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache SkyWalking" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache
SkyWalking Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of
the projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache SkyWalking
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache SkyWalking
Project:

 * Haoyang Liu  (刘浩杨)		<li...@apache.org>
 * Hongtao Gao  (高洪涛)		<ha...@apache.org>
 * Ignasi Barrera				<na...@apache.org>
 * Luke Han  (韩卿)				<lu...@apache.org>
 * Mick Semb Wever			<mc...@apache.org>
 * Sheng Wu  (吴晟)			<wu...@apache.org>
 * Shinn Zhang  (张鑫)			<zh...@apache.org>
 * Willem Ning Jiang  (姜宁)	<ni...@apache.org>
 * Yongsheng Peng  (彭勇升)	<pe...@apache.org>
 * DongXue Si (司冬雪)			<il...@apache.org>
 * Jian Tan (谭建)				<ta...@apache.org>
 * Kai Wang (王凯)				<wa...@apache.org>
 * Sheng Wang (旺盛)			<wa...@apache.org>
 * Yang Bai (柏杨)				<ba...@apache.org>
 * Yao Wang (王垚)				<yw...@apache.org>
 * Yuntao Li (李运涛)			<li...@apache.org>
 * Zhang Kewei (张科伟)		<zh...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sheng Wu (吴晟) be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache SkyWalking, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and
the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache SkyWalking PMC be and hereby is tasked
with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
development and increased participation in the Apache SkyWalking
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache SkyWalking Project be and hereby is tasked
with the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator
SkyWalking podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
SkyWalking podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are
hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP (take2)

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
Thanks Justin for the reminder, this came up during the first discussion too and I completely skipped it.
The updated proposal is, including improvement from Sebb's feedback,

======

Establish the Apache SkyWalking Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to application performance management and monitoring (APM).

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache SkyWalking Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache SkyWalking Project be and hereby is
responsible for the creation and maintenance of software related to
application performance management and monitoring (APM); and

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> I noticed this before we started this thread. We went through the roster and most of those "missing" are subscribed with other (non-apache) addresses.

I checked their names and email address list in the proposal as well not just apache emails. Whimsey doesn’t report any other unknown addresses subscribed to that list so I really cannot see how that is possible.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Whimsy currently shows 6 PPMC members who are not subscribed.
> It was 8 when I checked earlier, but two subscriptions were added earlier today.

It was 8 when I checked a few hours ago when I sent the email.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 4, 2019, at 3:12 AM, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.
> >
> > This example was all done today. Numerous attempts have been made.
> >> It also means that the person is aware that the private@ list is
> >> something they need to follow.
> >
> As noted else-thread, there is an alternate method to subscribing to the email lists, by sending email to private-subscribe-EMAIL.ADDRESS=DOMAIN.COM@skywalking.apache.org
>
> > Not getting any response at all is not an indication of whether the list exist of not, unfortunately.
> >
> > Anyway… to the thread's discussion: every PPMC received an invitation (per Apache template) that requested subscription to both dev and private ML. Reading the ASF guidelines here: https://apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs.html#communication ; I interpret it as they SHOULD be subscribed rather than MUST, and I'm curious as to whether how many of the TLPs are actually enforcing this among their pmc, if any. It's an interesting discussion… but I'm not entirely convinced it's an accurate shortcoming to whether the podling is ready for graduation or not.
>
> I think the question is not "Is SkyWalking ready to graduate" but "Is the proposed PMC list accurate".
>
> The PMC members are responsible for governing the TLP and as such need to be familiar with what is expected of them. Governance activities are conducted on the PPMC private list. If a PPMC member has not participated in any governance activities during incubation, it's unclear that they belong on the PMC.
>
> Reviewing the last several months of private@skywalking list, most of the discussion of new committers has had only four or five participants, who are clearly involved in governance of the project.

From a peanut gallery: has the podling considered PMC == committers at
the graduation point?
The two lists look very close to each other.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Wonderful!

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 3:56 PM, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> May I see a link to the planned Graduation Resolution?
>

> The planned graduation resolution is in this DISCUSS thread above, specifically here: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bf9512ac5441f602c41fe8fe7e11d9fa6121f04fc8d3f0cd39249b13@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
>
> That includes the updates addressing feedback from both Justin and Sebb.
> Removing those two initial PPMC that have since been quiet has not been done, I'm waiting on confirmation on whether that is needed/requested.

+1 either way.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> If possible can one of the PPMC members / mentors explain what these
> issue are in a little more detail.

All 7 items are resolved. The "Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation" section had been misread by all of us, as the list had accumulated over time, and is now only consisting of resolved items.  It's been fixed in the report.

https://incubator.apache.org/projects/skywalking.html was more accurate, in that it provides dates over resolved items.

regards,
Mick

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> "Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
> 1. IP clearance.
> 3. First ASF release. (SkyWalking 5.0)
> 3. Further ASF culture and processes.
> 7. Clear Brand issues with other ecosystem projects.“
>
> If possible can one of the PPMC members / mentors explain what these issue are in a little more detail. It’s seems a little unusual for these things to be listed and presumably unresolved if the project is considering graduation, especially the IP clearance issue. I can see the whimsey page (probably incorrectly) states that "No Software Grant and No IP Clearance Filed” [1]

I also note that IP clearance has been listed in every single board report since the first one. [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/SkyWalking.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 7:52 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
>> Removing those two initial PPMC that have since been quiet has not been done, I'm waiting on confirmation on whether that is needed/requested.
>
> The PPMC should be able to discuss that and work that out themselves and come up with the right answer if they are ready for graduation.
>
> I was just looking at this month board report and noticed these in SkyWalking report:
>
> "Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>  1. IP clearance.
>  3. First ASF release. (SkyWalking 5.0)
>  3. Further ASF culture and processes.
>  7. Clear Brand issues with other ecosystem projects.“
>
> If possible can one of the PPMC members / mentors explain what these issue are in a little more detail. It’s seems a little unusual for these things to be listed and presumably unresolved if the project is considering graduation, especially the IP clearance issue. I can see the whimsey page (probably incorrectly) states that "No Software Grant and No IP Clearance Filed” [1]

Whimsy uses an extra status file that is not well documented in content/podlings/skywalking.yml which is completely manual and duplicates in an easier format than content/projects/skywalking.xml

I’ve been looking at this in light of the whole clutch process. See threads on general@.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

It is down to four people missing from the PPMC list. I don’t view this as a problem. Clearly there are small operational issues. (Mick - SHOULD is used as specifications and really means MUST. They really MUST because if not that means that these PMC members can’t see discussion and votes on new committers and PMC members. They also miss any important security and branding issues that need PMC action. It’s important, but I think that there are enough PPMC members available that lack of response is not a concern.

As I understand things from a conversation I had in Shenzhen is that SkyWalking was always multiple developers not associated with any particular vendors.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> I think the question is not "Is SkyWalking ready to graduate" but "Is
> the proposed PMC list accurate".
>
> The PMC members are responsible for governing the TLP and as such need
> to be familiar with what is expected of them. Governance activities are
> conducted on the PPMC private list. If a PPMC member has not
> participated in any governance activities during incubation, it's
> unclear that they belong on the PMC.
>
> Reviewing the last several months of private@skywalking list, most of
> the discussion of new committers has had only four or five
> participants, who are clearly involved in governance of the project.

If this is a criteria then there are two trusted committers from the initial podling creation that have since then not been active. They should be then removed. They are Sheng Wang and Yuntao Li.
Those that were added in the last round will not have been involved in any private threads, and only the vote threads are on private. Every other podling related discussion has happen on the dev ML.

> Well the graduation was put off last time because the project was not correctly recognising merit, and they have fixed that by voting more folks but but if they are not active then I’m not sure what has been fixed. It seems this could be a symptom of the same problem?

It is not. Those that have been added recently have had no need to be involved in any private ML discussions, as there has't been any since. It becomes a bit absurd if those PPMC last added can never be included in any podling graduation proposal.

> Out of interest do we know who those 4 or 5 people work for (or the rest of the proposed PMC members)? It’s good to have a PMC consisting of people from different companies.

They are from different companies:
 - Cloud Wise
 - terminus.io
 - tetrate.io
 - Daocloud
 - Ke Finance
 - Huawei
 - Tingyun
 - Cianiao
 - Yonghui super market
 - VBill Payment Co.

And I don't see more than two PPMC from the same company.

regards,
Mick

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 3:12 AM, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.
>
> This example was all done today. Numerous attempts have been made.
>> It also means that the person is aware that the private@ list is
>> something they need to follow.

As noted else-thread, there is an alternate method to subscribing to the email lists, by sending email to private-subscribe-EMAIL.ADDRESS=DOMAIN.COM@skywalking.apache.org

> Not getting any response at all is not an indication of whether the list exist of not, unfortunately.
>
> Anyway… to the thread's discussion: every PPMC received an invitation (per Apache template) that requested subscription to both dev and private ML. Reading the ASF guidelines here: https://apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs.html#communication ; I interpret it as they SHOULD be subscribed rather than MUST, and I'm curious as to whether how many of the TLPs are actually enforcing this among their pmc, if any. It's an interesting discussion… but I'm not entirely convinced it's an accurate shortcoming to whether the podling is ready for graduation or not.

I think the question is not "Is SkyWalking ready to graduate" but "Is the proposed PMC list accurate".

The PMC members are responsible for governing the TLP and as such need to be familiar with what is expected of them. Governance activities are conducted on the PPMC private list. If a PPMC member has not participated in any governance activities during incubation, it's unclear that they belong on the PMC.

Reviewing the last several months of private@skywalking list, most of the discussion of new committers has had only four or five participants, who are clearly involved in governance of the project.

Regards,

Craig

> regards,
> Mick

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
There is an alternate way to subscribe if your mail client or service changes your from-address.

Send mail directly to private-subscribe-1151262684=qq.com@skywalking.apache.org from any address.

This works for any mail subscription.

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
There is an alternate way to subscribe if your mail client or service changes your from-address.

Send mail directly to private-subscribe-1151262684=qq.com@skywalking.apache.org from any address.

This works for any mail subscription.

Craig

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 7:26 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 14:49, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 12:11, 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sebb
>>>

>>> I just sent confirm `private-tc.1551700751.baimfhedlialniklhnho-Allen.Wang.123=outlook.com@skywalking.apache.org` requested by Yao Wang again.
>>> Still fail, 6 times just today
>>
>> I just replied, and it worked fine; they are shown as being on the list.
>>
>> By the way, the email address such as the confirmation mail above
>> contains a cookie which means it can be sent by anyone (not just
>> moderators), so is best not shared on a public list.
>>
>> Can you forward some example failure mails directly to me please?
>
> Your mail program seems to be adding some text to the reply address, e.g.
>
> To: "=?gb18030?B?...etc..?=" <private-list@skywalking.apache.org <ma...@skywalking.apache.org>>
>
> (You can see that in the second email you forwarded to me)
>
> I think that is what is causing ezmlm to reject your emails.
>
> Please ensure you copy the reply address exactly as provided in the
> email from ezmlm.
> Or, in the above case, don't add extra characters to the address; it should be:
>
> To: private-list@skywalking.apache.org <ma...@skywalking.apache.org>
>

>>> And for other two PPMC members, Dongxue(1151262684@qq.com) and Kai(oracle219@gmail.com)
>>> Get nothing.
>>
>> Who gets nothing?
>>

>>> ------------------
>>> Sheng Wu
>>> Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin
>>> Twitter, wusheng1108

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: 答复: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

To: "=?gb18030?B?...etc..?=" <pr...@skywalking.apache.org>

To: private-list@skywalking.apache.org

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

To: "=?gb18030?B?...etc..?=" <pr...@skywalking.apache.org>

To: private-list@skywalking.apache.org

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 12:11, 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebb
>

> I just sent confirm `private-tc.1551700751.baimfhedlialniklhnho-Allen.Wang.123=outlook.com@skywalking.apache.org` requested by Yao Wang again.
> Still fail, 6 times just today

I just replied, and it worked fine; they are shown as being on the list.

By the way, the email address such as the confirmation mail above
contains a cookie which means it can be sent by anyone (not just
moderators), so is best not shared on a public list.

Can you forward some example failure mails directly to me please?

> And for other two PPMC members, Dongxue(1151262684@qq.com) and Kai(oracle219@gmail.com)
> Get nothing.

Who gets nothing?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 12:11, 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebb
>

> I just sent confirm `private-tc.1551700751.baimfhedlialniklhnho-Allen.Wang.123=outlook.com@skywalking.apache.org` requested by Yao Wang again.
> Still fail, 6 times just today

I just replied, and it worked fine; they are shown as being on the list.

By the way, the email address such as the confirmation mail above
contains a cookie which means it can be sent by anyone (not just
moderators), so is best not shared on a public list.

Can you forward some example failure mails directly to me please?

> And for other two PPMC members, Dongxue(1151262684@qq.com) and Kai(oracle219@gmail.com)
> Get nothing.

Who gets nothing?

> ------------------
> Sheng Wu
> Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin
> Twitter, wusheng1108

> From:  "wang yao"<Al...@outlook.com>;
> Date:  Mon, Mar 4, 2019 07:39 PM
> To:  "general"<ge...@skywalking.apache.org>;
>
> Subject:  答复: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))
>

> Ok, trying to subscribing again.
>
> —
> Yao Wang
> Apache SkyWalking Committer, DaoCloud Labs
> Twitter, @tinyallen16
>
> ________________________________

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Mar 4,2019 7:24 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 11:12, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> > The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.
> >

> This example was all done today. Numerous attempts have been made.

I see another person has subscribed to private, so it is possible to
subscribe, but it may depend on the email provider (they used gmail).

I have added myself as a moderator to private@

Perhaps one of the people who failed earlier can try again?

S.

Re: 答复: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Mar 4,2019 7:24 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 11:12, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> > The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.
> >

> This example was all done today. Numerous attempts have been made.

I see another person has subscribed to private, so it is possible to
subscribe, but it may depend on the email provider (they used gmail).

I have added myself as a moderator to private@

Perhaps one of the people who failed earlier can try again?

S.

答复: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Mar 4,2019 7:24 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 11:12, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> > The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.
> >

> This example was all done today. Numerous attempts have been made.

I see another person has subscribed to private, so it is possible to
subscribe, but it may depend on the email provider (they used gmail).

I have added myself as a moderator to private@

Perhaps one of the people who failed earlier can try again?

S.

答复: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Mar 4,2019 7:24 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Posted by 王凯 Kai Wang <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mick
Thanks for reminding my name/account, I I've already changed it

mck <mc...@semb.wever.org> 于2019年3月5日周二 上午8:08写道:

王凯 Kai Wang

回复: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Posted by "DongXue Si(IluckySi)" <11...@qq.com>.
Hi:
I have changed my email name to DongXue Si(IluckySi) <11...@qq.com>

Posted by mck <mc...@semb.wever.org>.
王凯 Kai Wang,

Posted by 王凯 <or...@gmail.com>.
hi, Sebbaz:
I also can not subscribe private@skywalking.apache.org.
My email is oracle219@gmail.com

IluckySi <11...@qq.com> 于2019年3月4日周一 下午7:41写道:

> hi, Sebbaz:
> I also can not subscribe private@skywalking.apache.org.

致以崇高的敬意
    王凯

Re: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Posted by 王凯 <or...@gmail.com>.
hi, Sebbaz:
I also can not subscribe private@skywalking.apache.org.
My email is oracle219@gmail.com

IluckySi <11...@qq.com> 于2019年3月4日周一 下午7:41写道:

> hi, Sebbaz:
> I also can not subscribe private@skywalking.apache.org.

致以崇高的敬意
    王凯

回复: Problems subscribing to SkyWalking (Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2))

Posted by IluckySi <11...@qq.com>.
hi, Sebbaz:
I also can not subscribe private@skywalking.apache.org.

Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Mar 4,2019 7:24 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Posted by IluckySi <11...@qq.com>.
hi, Sebbaz:
I also can not subscribe private@skywalking.apache.org.

Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Mar 4,2019 7:24 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Mar 4,2019 7:24 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

From: sebb <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon,Mar 4,2019 7:24 PM
To: general <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 10:43, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Whimsy currently shows 6 PPMC members who are not subscribed.
>

> Digging into this more…
>
> It looks there's also been troubles subscribing from China, or more accurate receiving the confirm subscription emails from apache to chinese inboxes. (And it wouldn't surprise me if after creating a new mail accounts and getting things to work, folk would be forgetting then about private@skywalking )
>
> There's some oddity like Yao Wang who is subscribed to dev ML but is not getting the confirm email using the same email address for the private ML.
>
> For example:
> ```
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <pr...@skywalking.apache.org>:
> ezmlm-manage: fatal: Illegal or outdated moderator request (#5.7.1)
> ```

The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.

> Indeed if I look through my inbox I see some of those missing from the private ML having matching "CONFIRM subscribe to private@skywalking.apache.org" emails. But they say they did not get those emails.
>
> Folk are also just using the list.apache.org website, which is of no surprise considering the above errors. We'll continue with this, as the Chinese communities will need to have this sorted out, but we do believe that all have attempted to subscribe.
>
> Is there a reason that people with @apache.org addresses have to manually subscribe to these lists, if it's so mandatory?
>
> I would have thought this is something that should just then be automatic, and then in this situation it's just the problem of ensuring the @apache.org address is successfully forwarding emails.

People may wish to subscribe using a different email from the one to
which their ASF email is forwarded.

Subscription by the PPMC member achieves both the above:
- choice of email address
- validation that the address can get emails

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 09:13, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> > I’m still not 100% sure that this project its ready to graduate.
> > Looking at the roster [1] only 1/2 the the proposed PMC members are
> > signed up to the projects private list. Some of the people suggested
> > have limited interaction on the mailing list(s)  and in a couple of
> > cases have never sent an email to them that I can find. How was this
> > PMC list determined and where was this discussed? Perhaps the roster
> > needs to be adjusted in the proposal for it to be accepted by the IPMC?
> > What do others think?
>

> Yeeaah, something that's not catching me off-guard  :-)
>
> I noticed this before we started this thread. We went through the roster and most of those "missing" are subscribed with other (non-apache) addresses.

Whimsy currently shows 6 PPMC members who are not subscribed.
It was 8 when I checked earlier, but two subscriptions were added earlier today.

There are no unrecognised emails on the private@ list; all are
subscribed either with their ASF email or an email that is listed in
their LDAP record. So the list of PPMC members without subscriptions
is accurate in Whimsy.

Yesterday, 8 of the 13 PPMC members were not subscribed to the private
list. (The 4 mentors are subbed)

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> I’m still not 100% sure that this project its ready to graduate.
> Looking at the roster [1] only 1/2 the the proposed PMC members are
> signed up to the projects private list. Some of the people suggested
> have limited interaction on the mailing list(s)  and in a couple of
> cases have never sent an email to them that I can find. How was this
> PMC list determined and where was this discussed? Perhaps the roster
> needs to be adjusted in the proposal for it to be accepted by the IPMC?
> What do others think?

Yeeaah, something that's not catching me off-guard  :-)

I noticed this before we started this thread. We went through the roster and most of those "missing" are subscribed with other (non-apache) addresses. Most of them are there and have been involved, also discussion on the private ML is frowned upon except for votes on new committers/ppmc or security issues, so more activity is present on dev and notifications. There are two that have been quiet/inactive, but they remain trusted, so I would hesitate to remove them (as per norm for ASF projects).

regards,
Mick

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
When I was writing the graduation proposal for Fineract I explicitly asked
each PMC member for permission to put them on the list.  One guy never
answered, so I removed him from the list.  There's nothing really *wrong*
with having inactive PMC members, but you can at least start your project's
TLP "life" with the ones who are active enough to respond and subscribe.

YMMV, but for the graduation vote, I'd like to at least know which ones are
subscribed for the purposes of getting a slightly more accurate picture of
the project's true corporate diversity.

Best,
Myrle

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I’m still not 100% sure that this project its ready to graduate. Looking at the roster [1] only 1/2 the the proposed PMC members are signed up to the projects private list. Some of the people suggested have limited interaction on the mailing list(s)  and in a couple of cases have never sent an email to them that I can find. How was this PMC list determined and where was this discussed? Perhaps the roster needs to be adjusted in the proposal for it to be accepted by the IPMC? What do others think?

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi

I do the following changes.
1. Committer and PPMC number updated, in CO40
2.  Releases and bugs updated, in QU50
3.  Contributor updated, in IN10

Thanks.

------------------

From:  "Justin Mclean"<ju...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Mon, Mar 4, 2019 09:49 AM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Hi,

Yes and thanks for pointing this out.
> I have updated the document[1].

Have any other changes been made since last time?

Thanks.,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Justin

> I assume the maturity documentation linked to in the discussion is slightly out of date? [1] as it states "The community has elected 1 new committer and 1 PPMC member during incubation, based on meritocracy.”.

Yes and thanks for pointing this out.
I have updated the document[1]. Now it states "YES. The community has elected 9 new committers, 3 of them also as PPMC members, during incubation, based on meritocracy."

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SKYWALKING/Apache+Maturity+Model+Assessment+for+SkyWalking

------------------

From:  "justin"<ju...@classsoftware.com>;
Date:  Mon, Mar 4, 2019 04:56 AM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;
Cc:  "dev"<de...@skywalking.apache.org>;

Hi,

>> SkyWalking is making more consensus decisions via the ML, including discussions and decisions on issue, test, release, new committer and branding issues. Since the last graduation discussion, the community has voted in 9 new committers, 3 of them also as PPMC members.

I assume the maturity documentation linked to in the discussion is slightly out of date? [1] as it states "The community has elected 1 new committer and 1 PPMC member during incubation, based on meritocracy.”.

>> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache SkyWalking PMC be and hereby is tasked
>> with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
>> development and increased participation in the Apache SkyWalking
>> Project; and be it further

I suggest you remove this section, bylaws are not required.

Thanks,
Justin

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Justin

From:  "justin"<ju...@classsoftware.com>;
Date:  Mon, Mar 4, 2019 04:56 AM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;
Cc:  "dev"<de...@skywalking.apache.org>;

Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Sebb

> Seems to me this is a bit too specific (and long) - can the example
> target systems be left out?
> e.g. it could perhaps be rephrased as:
> related to application performance monitoring (aka a distributed tracing system)

Thanks for noticing this.

Short version, we could say, SkyWalking is an open source application performance management/monitoring system, APM.

We join the incubator as an APM based on distributed tracing system, with our journey in incubator and the community grows,
we become more than that (huge exciting about this, the charms of being a part of ASF).
We could support observing/monitoring service mesh ecosystem,
such as Envoy(on developing) and Istio,
others are trying to propose more, not formally yet.
Anyway, APM is good, well known, and easy enough.

------------------

From:  "sebb"<se...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Sun, Mar 3, 2019 10:04 PM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;
Cc:  "dev"<de...@skywalking.apache.org>;

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 11:32 PM Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...If this project description is to be updated in the graduation proposal, does it also need to be updated
> in the podling status file? and anywhere else?...

No, it's fine to have a slightly different description in the
graduation resolution.

It's best for the resolution's description to be reasonably broad -
projects evolve, and if that description is too specific it might
become "wrong" over time.

With this in mind I like sebb's proposal:

> related to application performance monitoring (aka a distributed tracing system)

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP (take2)

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Sebb

From:  "sebb"<se...@gmail.com>;