Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Peter Spam <ps...@mac.com> on 2010/06/28 22:46:01 UTC

Very basic questions: Indexing text

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to index a bunch of (potentially large) text files.  I would love to see results like Google, so I went through a few tutorials, but I've still got questions:

1) I can get my docs in the index, but when I search, it returns the entire document.  I'd love to have it only return the line (or two) around the search term.

2) There are one or two fields at the beginning of the file that I would like to search on, so these should be indexed differently, right?

3) Is there a nice front-end example anywhere?  Something that would return results kind of like Google?

Thanks for your time - Solr / Lucene seem to be very powerful.

-Pete

Re: Very basic questions: Indexing text

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.
> Could you give an example?
> E.g. lets say I have a field 'title' and a field 'fulltext'
> and my
> search term is 'solr'. What would be the right set of
> parameters to get
> back the whole title-field but only a sniplet of 50 words
> (or three
> sentences or whatever the unit) from the fulltext field.

&q=solr&hl=true&hl.fl=title,fulltext&f.title.hl.fragsize=0

should do it. You can increase the size of snippet (in terms of characters) generated from fulltext by increasing hl.fragsize value.

Re: Very basic questions: Indexing text

Posted by Michael Lackhoff <mi...@lackhoff.de>.
On 28.06.2010 23:00 Ahmet Arslan wrote:

>> 1) I can get my docs in the index, but when I search, it
>> returns the entire document.  I'd love to have it only
>> return the line (or two) around the search term.
>
> Solr can generate Google-like snippets as you describe.
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HighlightingParameters

I didn't know this is possible and am also interested in this feature
but even after reading the given Wiki page I cannot make out which is
the parameter to use. The only paramter that could be similar is
'hl.maxAlternateFieldLength' where it is possible to give a length to
return but according to the description that is for the case "no match".
And there is "hl.fragmentsBuilder" but with no explanation (the refered
page SolrFragmentsBuilder does not yet exist).

Could you give an example?
E.g. lets say I have a field 'title' and a field 'fulltext' and my
search term is 'solr'. What would be the right set of parameters to get
back the whole title-field but only a sniplet of 50 words (or three
sentences or whatever the unit) from the fulltext field.

Thanks
-Michael

Re: Very basic questions: Indexing text

Posted by Peter Spam <ps...@mac.com>.
Great, thanks for the pointers.

Thanks,
Peter

On Jun 28, 2010, at 2:00 PM, Ahmet Arslan wrote:

>> 1) I can get my docs in the index, but when I search, it
>> returns the entire document.  I'd love to have it only
>> return the line (or two) around the search term.
>
> Solr can generate Google-like snippets as you describe.
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HighlightingParameters
>
>> 2) There are one or two fields at the beginning of the file
>> that I would like to search on, so these should be indexed
>> differently, right?
>
> Probably yes.
>
>> 3) Is there a nice front-end example anywhere?
>> Something that would return results kind of like Google?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers
> http://search-lucene.com/

AW: Very basic questions: Faceted front-end?

Posted by Ma...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
it is not that complicated to write an own GUI.
we are working on an integration to our intranet server...

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 1, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Mark Allan wrote:

> Very nice indeed!  That definitely needs to be shouted about in the
> docs.

Why thanks!   And yeah, marketing isn't my strong point, but it is
indeed a way cool feature of Solr that deserves more attention that I
can give it.

> Any way to make it work with facet queries or can dismax requests
> not do that? I tried adding a few &facet.query parameters but it
> came back with nothing in the facet list.

You'll have to adjust the templates to pull facet queries out into the
view.  I'll try to do that later today unless you beat me to it and
provide a patch :)   It'll be pretty trivial to do so.

It also needs to support date range faceting too.

	Erik

Re: Very basic questions: Faceted front-end?

Posted by Mark Allan <ma...@ed.ac.uk>.
Very nice indeed!  That definitely needs to be shouted about in the
docs.

Any way to make it work with facet queries or can dismax requests not
do that? I tried adding a few &facet.query parameters but it came back
with nothing in the facet list.

Mark

On 1 Jul 2010, at 12:36 pm, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Solr trunk now has a built-in UI, and it is also something that
> works with Solr 1.4 as well (with some effort).   Here's how to get
> it working with Solr 1.4:
>
>   <http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2009/11/04/solritas-solr-1-4s-hidden-gem/
> >

> In Solr trunk, all you have to do is navigate to /solr/browse and
> you get a "google-like" UI that does highlighting, faceting, spell-
> checking, etc.
>
> There's a partial screenshot (of the debug feature) attached to this
> issue:
>
>  <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1957>
>
> 	Erik
>

> On Jun 30, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Peter Spam wrote:
>
>> Ah, I found this:
>>
>> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-634
>>
>> ... aka "solr-ui".  Is there anything else along these lines?
>> Thanks!
>>

>> -Peter
>>
>> On Jun 30, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Peter Spam wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, thanks Lance - it's really fast now!
>>>
>>> The last piece of the puzzle is setting up a nice front-end.  Are
>>> there any pre-built front-ends available, that mimic Google (for
>>> example), with facets?
>>>

>>> -Peter

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Very basic questions: Faceted front-end?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Spam <ps...@mac.com>.
Ah, I found this:

Posted by Jan Høydahl / Cominvent <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Have you had a look at www.twigkit.com ? Could be worth the bucks...

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Posted by Peter Spam <ps...@mac.com>.

Re: Very basic questions: Indexing text - working, but slow!

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Spam <ps...@mac.com>.

Posted by Peter Spam <ps...@mac.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
try adding &hl.fl=text

Posted by Peter Spam <ps...@mac.com>.

        curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/update/extract?literal.id=doc$J" -F "myfile=@$i";

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.
> 1) I can get my docs in the index, but when I search, it
> returns the entire document.  I'd love to have it only
> return the line (or two) around the search term.

Solr can generate Google-like snippets as you describe.
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HighlightingParameters

> 2) There are one or two fields at the beginning of the file
> that I would like to search on, so these should be indexed
> differently, right?

Probably yes.