Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by "Bradman, Dale" <da...@capgemini.com> on 2015/04/07 13:00:09 UTC

Querying pre existing HBase table

Hello,

Is it possible to issue a SELECT statement on a pre existing HBase table without having to create a Phoenix table/view on top of the HBase table?

Thanks, Dale.

Re: Querying pre existing HBase table

Posted by Billy Watson <wi...@gmail.com>.
Just to not steer you in the wrong direction, you do have to create a
table, but you do not have to tell phoenix every column you're going to
query on as of Phoenix 1.2.

http://phoenix.apache.org/dynamic_columns.html

So yes, phoenix needs to know the types, but it doesn't have to know them
up front, FWIW. I'm not sure of your exact use case, obviously.

William Watson
Software Engineer
(904) 705-7056 PCS

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta

Re: Querying pre existing HBase table

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
No, that's not possible. Phoenix needs to know the type information
and that's what the table/view definition is telling it.

Thanks,
James