Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Brenden Cobb <br...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/05 04:18:19 UTC

Topic Deletion Issues

I might have sent this recently, but was not able to receive mail from
this list (fixed)
---

Hello-

We have a use case where we're trying to create a topic, delete, then
recreate with the same topic name.

Running into inconsistant results.

Creating the topic:
/opt/kafka/bin/kafka-topics.sh --create --partitions 3
--replication-factor 3 --topic test-01 --zookeeper zoo01:2181,
zoo02:2181, zoo03:2181

Delete:
/opt/kafka/bin/kafka-topics.sh --delete --topic test-01 --zookeeper
zoo01:2181, zoo02:2181, zoo03:2181

Repeat creation.

The results are inconsistant. Executing the above several times can be
successful, then sporadically we get caught in "topic marked for
deletion" and it does not clear.

This appears to be a Zookeeper issue of sorts as the logs will show:
[2015-12-30 22:32:32,946] WARN Conditional update of path
/brokers/topics/test-01/partitions/0/state with data
{"controller_epoch":21,"leader":2,"version":1,"leader_epoch":1,"isr":[2,0,1]}
and expected version 1 failed due to
org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$NoNodeException: KeeperErrorCode
= NoNode for /brokers/topics/test-01/partitions/0/state
(kafka.utils.ZkUtils$)

In this instance no subdirectories exist beyond /brokers/topics/test-01

I'd like to know if this is a common occurrance and why the Zookeeper
node isn't "fully" created as Kafka deletion seems stuck without the
expected node path.

We are using Kafka 8.2. Purging is also an option (if achievable
programmatically), we just need to make sure there are no messages
left when resuming the producer.

Appreciate any info/guidance.

Thanks,
BC