Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Pranay akula <pr...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/25 20:06:01 UTC

Version Upgrade

When is it necessary to upgrade SSTables ?? For a minor upgrade do we need
to run upgrade stables??

I knew when we are doing a major upgrade we have to run upgrade sstables so
that sstables will be re-written to newer version with additional meta data.

But do we need to run upgrade sstables for upgrading from let's say 3.0.15
to 3.0.16 or 3.0.y to 3.11.y??

Thanks
Pranay

Re: Version Upgrade

Posted by kurt greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.

> In other words, if I am running Cassandra 1.2.x and upgrading to 2.0.x,
> 2.0.x will continue to read all the old Cassandra 1.2.x table. However, if
> I then want to upgrade to Cassandra 2.1.x, I’d better make sure all tables
> have been upgraded to 2.0.x before making the next upgrade.

Correct but you should really upgrade SSTables as early as possible to
benefit from any storage/performance improvements. Plus it's probably not
incredibly safe to be running an old format with a newer version for an
extended period.
​

RE: Version Upgrade

Posted by Ken Hancock <ke...@schange.com>.
A related question:

Is nodetool upgradesstables only necessary before you’re going to move major versions?  I was under the impression that Cassandra N+1 could read the table format of Cassandra N.

In other words, if I am running Cassandra 1.2.x and upgrading to 2.0.x, 2.0.x will continue to read all the old Cassandra 1.2.x table. However, if I then want to upgrade to Cassandra 2.1.x, I’d better make sure all tables have been upgraded to 2.0.x before making the next upgrade.

There's no harm in running it during any upgrade, and I always recommend doing it just to be in the habit.

My 2 cents.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 3:39 PM Christophe Schmitz <ch...@instaclustr.com>> wrote:
Hi Pranay,

You only need to upgrade your SSTables when you perform a major Cassandra version upgrade, so you don't need to run it for upgrading in the 3.x.x series.
The version is "mc" in the 3.x.x series.

Cheers,
Christophe

--

Christophe Schmitz - VP Consulting

AU: +61 4 03751980 / FR: +33 7 82022899<tel:+33%207%2082%2002%2028%2099>

 [https://drive.google.com/a/instaclustr.com/uc?id=1fKk3kS2ebaSVTQHd3dNEH6dkduSD4zGh&export=download]      [http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/facebook_sig.png] <https://www.facebook.com/instaclustr>   [http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/twitter_sig.png] <https://twitter.com/instaclustr>   [http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/linkedin_sig.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/instaclustr>

Read our latest technical blog posts here<https://www.instaclustr.com/blog/>. This email has been sent on behalf of Instaclustr Pty. Limited (Australia) and Instaclustr Inc (USA). This email and any attachments may contain confidential and legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy or disclose its content, but please reply to this email immediately and highlight the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message.

Re: Version Upgrade

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.

Re: Version Upgrade

Posted by Christophe Schmitz <ch...@instaclustr.com>.