Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Greg Wale <gr...@verinet.com> on 2000/03/15 20:47:10 UTC

Is Tomcat REALLY What I Want?

Hi,

I'm considering developing and placing into production a small
but scalable web database / email application with Java Servlets
/ JSP and Tomcat.  Tomcat and JSP appear to be the logical
successor to JHTML and Sun's JavaWebServer which I've used.

My Questions
---------------
1.
Which web server is my best choice to deploy Tomcat & JSP on? I
don't like Microsoft's stupid limits of 5 or 10 connections on NT
or Win2000 pro, and their high cost / high support / low
reliability / admin complexity.
I'm open to deployment Windows 2000 or Linux.

2.
Is Visual Age the best Java dev environment for Tomacat / JSP /
Servlets?  IBM says you can reload servlet classes without having
to stop a Web Server and can completely debug in the IDE itself.
Can anyone vouch for this for me?

3. Are there decent thrid party JSP products / servlet add-ons,
class packages etc? If so, where do I find them? (Sun's www site
isnt too impressive for this)

4. Am I missing any more serious issues here? Like, is Tomcat
ready for production sites yet?

best regards,
Greg

Re: Is Tomcat REALLY What I Want?

Posted by Jason Hunter <jh...@acm.org>.
> 3. Are there decent thrid party JSP products / servlet add-ons,
> class packages etc? If so, where do I find them? (Sun's www site
> isnt too impressive for this)

http://www.servlets.com/resources/urls/tools.html

-jh-

--
Jason Hunter
jhunter@acm.org

Re: Is Tomcat REALLY What I Want?

Posted by Hien Nguyen <hq...@netzero.net>.
I am playing with Tomcat 3.1 beta 1 and Forte For Java (Community Edition), a
Sun's IDE, and able to step into and debug my servlets.  Forte for Java is only
beta but works pretty well.

Posted by Kevin Galligan <ke...@ospreypartners.com>.

Posted by Shachor Gal <sh...@techunix.technion.ac.il>.

> I'm considering developing and placing into production a small
> but scalable web database / email application with Java Servlets
> / JSP and Tomcat.

When you say scalable what do you mean?
Also what machine did you use CPU/Mem?
What is the pattern of the application?
What is the time eating portion of the application?

As for deployment...
I am biased... I think that by 3.1 Tomcat should be stable enough for
deployment.

My recomendations will be:
FreeBSD/Linux for the Web Server.
Apache as the web server.
Linux for Tomcat.
IBM JDK 1.1.8 for Linux (in my internal tests it was 50% faster then
the current SUN 1.2.2, do not believe test it for yourself)

If you will need extream scalability, all the Tomcat plugins knows how to
load balance among several Tomcat JVMs and these JVMs can run on different
hosts (soething that JWS could not do).

As for development environment, I heard for several people that VAJ can
really do the debug job that you are looking for. I also heard that it can
debug JSP at the source level (but this is a hearsay).

As a last resort, do not forget that Tomcat is nothing but a big Java
application, start it in your IDE and you should be able to step through
the code.

	Gal Shachor