Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Norton <jn...@groceryworks.com> on 2006/10/13 20:17:18 UTC

Commit files without a full working copy?

Under SVN 1.2 I could add files without having to check out a full
working copy.
After an initial checkout, I would delete all files except the top level
.svn directory.
Then using "svn add d:\work\* --force; svn ci -m msg " would add in and
commit my new files.

This allowed me to check in files without having to have every single
file in the repository on my local workstation.  Perhaps I was
exploiting a bug, but does anyone have a suggestion as to how to
accomplish this?  I have 5 branches in 2 repos to check into, and don't
want to maintain 5 working copies.

Thanks,

John

Re: Commit files without a full working copy?

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 10/13/06, John Norton <jn...@groceryworks.com> wrote:

>  Under SVN 1.2 I could add files without having to check out a full
> working copy.
> After an initial checkout, I would delete all files except the top level
> .svn directory.
> Then using "svn add d:\work\* --force; svn ci -m msg " would add in and
> commit my new files.
>
> This allowed me to check in files without having to have every single file
> in the repository on my local workstation.

I had never had every single file in my repo in my working copy. I only have
the files in the directories in which I'm interested. Sometimes recursively,
sometimes not. See checkout's -N flag.

Perhaps I was exploiting a bug, but does anyone have a suggestion as to how
> to accomplish this?  I have 5 branches in 2 repos to check into, and don't
> want to maintain 5 working copies.

Your use case isn't clear to me. Are your changes (adds, modifications,
deletes) identical across all 5? If not, what is your objection to having 5
working copies?