Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mukarram Syed <mu...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/03 20:55:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Help on http and https using different domains

Hi,
I need some help on this, we are going to go live soon but this is a road block for us.
The issue is:
We are hosting an ecommerce site.  Lets say the http domain is www.example.com
We go to www.example.com, browse and click on some items and add to the bag.
Then we proceed to checkout.  Once we click on Proceed to checkout, it changes the domain to secure.example.com.  While we were in the www.example.com, we could view the items in the bag.  The moment we Proceed to checkout, the items in the bag dissappear.  This should not happen.
Any help would be appreciated.  We think it is a problem with the http.conf and ssl.conf.

Thanks

We are using tomcat as our middleware.

Httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost  *:80>
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/yvesrocher/html
    ServerName  www.example.com
 </VirtualHost>

 <VirtualHost  *:80>
        ServerName  www.example.com
        ServerAlias example.com
        Redirect /  http://www.example.com/
</VirtualHost>

 In the ssl.conf file:

 <VirtualHost 10.0.226.12:443>
 ServerName  secure.example.com:443
ServerAlias  secure.example.com:443
 </VirtualHost>

Mukarram Syed
muksyed@yahoo.com

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Help on http and https using different domains

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/06, Mukarram Syed <mu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need some help on this, we are going to go live soon but this is a road
> block for us.
> The issue is:
> We are hosting an ecommerce site.  Lets say the http domain is
> www.example.com
> We go to www.example.com, browse and click on some items and add to the bag.
> Then we proceed to checkout.  Once we click on Proceed to checkout, it
> changes the domain to secure.example.com.  While we were in the
> www.example.com, we could view the items in the bag.  The moment we Proceed
> to checkout, the items in the bag dissappear.  This should not happen.

With a high probability this is not Apache related. Aparently whatever
mechanism you use to store what the user bought fails when the user
switches URLs. This is not an apache issue.

> Any help would be appreciated.  We think it is a problem with the http.conf
> and ssl.conf.

There does seem to be a problem with your config though:

> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/yvesrocher/html
>     ServerName www.example.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>         ServerName  www.example.com
>         ServerAlias example.com
>         Redirect / http://www.example.com/
> </VirtualHost>

Why do you have two virtual hosts with the same ServerName. Do you
realise that requests to sss.example.com will always be handled by the
first server?

> In the ssl.conf file:
>
> <VirtualHost 10.0.226.12:443>
> ServerName secure.example.com:443
> ServerAlias secure.example.com:443
> </VirtualHost>

Setting ServerName and ServerAlias to the same name serves no purpose.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Solothurn, Switzerland

Re: [users@httpd] Help on http and https using different domains

Posted by Richard Collyer <ri...@firebadger.net>.
Mukarram Syed wrote:
> Hi,
> I need some help on this, we are going to go live soon but this is a
> road block for us.
> The issue is:
> We are hosting an ecommerce site.  Lets say the http domain is
> www.example.com
> We go to www.example.com, browse and click on some items and add to the bag.
>
> <VirtualHost 10.0.226.12:443>
> ServerName secure.example.com:443
> ServerAlias secure.example.com:443
> </VirtualHost>

I'd personally look at the cookies you are using (assuming thats what
you are using). I'm guessing you set them up for www.example.com so the
server at secure.example.com isn't reading them as they are for a
different subdomain.

Regards,