Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by S L <sl...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/04 02:51:42 UTC

What do the numbers in the ConsumerOffsetChecker mean

Hi,

Just wondering what the units for the results from the
ConsumerOffsetChecker are.

For example, this was the output when we ran the OffsetChecker:
Group           Topic                          Pid Offset          logSize
        Lag             Owner
xml1      xmlnew                      0   28317611        32809085
 4491474         none

Is the lag in bytes or is it an offset pointer of where it's at in the
topic, or am I totally off and it means something else?  Just asking
because one time our consumer was stopped for about 30 min but the lag
value / logSize didn't grow as much as we thought it should in a 30 min
period.  We know we should get 100+MB of data a minute but the Lag value
was something like 60000 when we checked after 30 min.

We looked at this site
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/FAQ#FAQ-Myconsumerseemstohavestopped%2Cwhy%3F

which makes it look like it represents bytes, yet looking at the
kafka.apache.org (
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops_consumer_lag) site
makes it sound like it represents a position in the topic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: What do the numbers in the ConsumerOffsetChecker mean

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 April 2014 01:51, S L <sl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what the units for the results from the
> ConsumerOffsetChecker are.
>
> For example, this was the output when we ran the OffsetChecker:
> Group           Topic                          Pid Offset          logSize
>         Lag             Owner
> xml1      xmlnew                      0   28317611        32809085
>  4491474         none
>
> Is the lag in bytes or is it an offset pointer of where it's at in the
> topic, or am I totally off and it means something else?  Just asking
> because one time our consumer was stopped for about 30 min but the lag
> value / logSize didn't grow as much as we thought it should in a 30 min
> period.  We know we should get 100+MB of data a minute but the Lag value
> was something like 60000 when we checked after 30 min.
>
> We looked at this site
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/FAQ#FAQ-Myconsumerseemstohavestopped%2Cwhy%3F
>
> which makes it look like it represents bytes, yet looking at the
> kafka.apache.org (
> http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#basic_ops_consumer_lag) site
> makes it sound like it represents a position in the topic.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Please ask on a Kafka mailing list.

This is not a standard JMeter test element.