Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Igor Lino <ic...@gmx.de> on 2011/12/27 23:01:05 UTC

improving cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis

Hi!

I was trying to get an understanding of the real strengths of Cassandra against other competitors. Its actually not that simple and depends a lot on details on the actual requirements.

Reading the following comparison:
http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis

It felt like the description of Cassandra painted a limiting picture of its capabilities. Is there any Cassandra expert that could improve that summary? is there any important thing missing? or is there a more fitting common use case for Cassandra than what Mr. Kovacs has given?
(I believe/think that a Cassandra expert can improve that generic description)

Thanks,
Igor

Re: improving cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> Also when comparing these technologies very subtle differences in design
> have profound in effects in operation and performance. Thus someone trying
> to paper over 6 technologies and compare them with a few bullet points is
> really doing the world an injustice.

+1. Same goes for 99% of all benchmarks ever published on the internet...

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)

Re: improving cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
This is not really a comparison of anything because each NoSQL has its own
bullet points like:

Boats
  great for traveling on water
Cars
  great for traveling on land

So the conclusion I should gather is?

Also as for the Cassandra bullet points, they are really thin (and wrong).
Such as:

Cassandra:
Best used: When you write more than you read (logging). If every component
of the system must be in Java. ("No one gets fired for choosing Apache's
stuff.")

I view that as:
Nonsensical, inaccurate, and anecdotal.

Also I notice on the other side (and not trying to pick on hbase, but)
hbase:
No single point of failure
Random access performance is like MySQL

Hbase has several SPOF's, its random access performance is definitely NOT
'like mysql',

Cassandra ACTUALLY has no SPOF but as they author mentions, he/she does not
like Cassandra so that fact was left out.

>From what I can see of the writeup, it is obviously inaccurate in numerous
places (without even reading the entire thing).