Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Ar...@vkb.de on 2009/05/20 11:45:39 UTC

Using the MyFaces component libraries with JSF 2.0

Hi there,

I'm quite new to JSF and have a question:

We are planning to use the upcoming MyFaces 2.0, with its nice component
libraries (3T - Tomahawk, Trinidad, Tobago), and possibly other component
libraries as needed. Since the JSF core component of MyFaces is still JSF
1.2, I am temporarily using SUN's Mojarra implementation, no problem. What
I'm wondering about is:
* Is it technically possible to use the current 3T component libraries with
JSF 2.0 (Mojarra)?
* If yes, can I use them only in "backwards compatibility mode" (a.k.a.
JSP)? (Not what I want.)
* If no, and I use them in my facelets, will they change significantly when
MyFaces 2.0 is released?

In other words: How can I start today with developing MyFaces 2.0
applications?

CU

Arno

Re: Using the MyFaces component libraries with JSF 2.0

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM,  <Ar...@vkb.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm quite new to JSF and have a question:
>
> We are planning to use the upcoming MyFaces 2.0, with its nice component
> libraries (3T - Tomahawk, Trinidad, Tobago), and possibly other component
> libraries as needed. Since the JSF core component of MyFaces is still JSF
> 1.2, I am temporarily using SUN's Mojarra implementation, no problem. What
> I'm wondering about is:
> * Is it technically possible to use the current 3T component libraries with
> JSF 2.0 (Mojarra)?

using all the three in one page is perhaps not the best pattern, generally;

> * If yes, can I use them only in "backwards compatibility mode" (a.k.a.
> JSP)? (Not what I want.)

since these libs do have (some) Facelets support, I think that should run;
(not tested)

> * If no, and I use them in my facelets, will they change significantly when
> MyFaces 2.0 is released?

this was not yet really discussed, but I think that these libs will
update to JSF
2.0 sooner or later. As for the facelets support this should be fairly easy, as
far as I know some of the "Facelets APIs" have been "promoted" to be javax***
basically you new inherit from a "different" class/package...

> In other words: How can I start today with developing MyFaces 2.0
> applications?

myfaces 2.0 is in an early stage, Simon is heads-down on the Facelets code drop;
Today, I'd only use it if you want:
-contribute back to Apache (-> helping to get MyFaces 2.0 early as
possible stable ;-))
-do some basic experiments

All the myfaces2 related discussions are currently on the DEV@ list.
Perhaps you may ping
that list as well. (Pointing to this thread, via markmail etc, may help as well)

thx,
Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf