Posted to user@empire-db.apache.org by Alain Becam <Al...@embl.de> on 2013/02/27 16:19:10 UTC

Strange problem with Date while inserting

Hi all,
      I have an insert which is called a lot (several time per seconds, 24h/24h), and very rarely, something like once in a week, I get an SQL error because the date is not quoted. It is a very simple insert, and so works something like 99.9% of the time. Still I am curious to know what happen. Here is the relevant part of the raised exception:

Insert new search terms org.apache.empire.db.exceptions.QueryFailedException: Error executing query INSERT INTO SEARCH_TERMS_LOG( SEARCH_TERMS, IS_LOCAL, AT_TIME, FROM_IP) VALUES ( 'XXXX', 1, Thu Feb 21 10:27:45 CET 2013, '10.11.4.119').
Native error is INSERT INTO SEARCH_TERMS_LOG( SEARCH_TERMS, IS_LOCAL, AT_TIME, FROM_IP) VALUES ( 'XXXX', 1, Thu Feb 21 10:27:45 CET 2013, '10.11.4.119').
	at org.apache.empire.db.DBDatabase.executeSQL(DBDatabase.java:1037)
	at org.apache.empire.db.DBRowSet.updateRecord(DBRowSet.java:711)
	at org.apache.empire.db.DBRecord.update(DBRecord.java:683)
	at de.embl.common.core.logging.DBRecordLoggingWrapper.update(DBRecordLoggingWrapper.java:89)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: ORA-00917: missing comma

	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:440)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:396)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.processError(T4C8Oall.java:837)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.receive(T4CTTIfun.java:445)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.doRPC(T4CTTIfun.java:191)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.doOALL(T4C8Oall.java:523)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.doOall8(T4CStatement.java:193)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeForRows(T4CStatement.java:999)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1315)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeUpdateInternal(OracleStatement.java:1822)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeUpdate(OracleStatement.java:1787)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatementWrapper.executeUpdate(OracleStatementWrapper.java:280)
	at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyStatement.executeUpdate(NewProxyStatement.java:64)
	at org.apache.empire.db.DBDatabaseDriver.executeSQL(DBDatabaseDriver.java:535)
	at org.apache.empire.db.DBDatabase.executeSQL(DBDatabase.java:1025)
	... 26 common frames omitted

The DBRecordLoggingWrapper is simply saving udpate/insert informations if needed, and in that case it is doing nothing, just calling back the DBRecord methods. Still it could do something wrong, I simply don't see what.
Best regards,
     Alain

Re: Strange problem with Date while inserting

Posted by Becam Alain <al...@embl.de>.
It could be indeed, I will check tomorrow. It could also be possible to
share a part of code.

//Alain

Posted by Alain Becam <Al...@embl.de>.
Hi Francis,
      Thank you for investigating. Well, unfortunately it is a DATETIME:

C_AT_TIME             = addColumn("AT_TIME", DataType.DATETIME,      0,
DataMode.Nullable);

But somehow I do something that got EmpireDB to be confused about it.
BTW I updated after my message from 2.2 to the latest release 2.4.2,
could that be something that has been fixed since? As I said before, it
is crazily rare, so even difficult to know if it is fixed or not...

//Alain

--
----------------------------
       Alain Becam, PhD

Re: Strange problem with Date while inserting

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alain,

I'm trying to reproduce this in a test, could you tell us what the
definition of C_AT_TIME looks like?

Somehow it's not a DataType.DATETIME as that type of field generates this sql:
INSERT INTO DATA( NAME, UPDATE_TIMESTAMP) VALUES ( 'test',
TO_DATE('2013-03-03 21:23:52', 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'))

Cheers,

> Hi Alain!
>
> Can you paste the connection relevant code, too?
> Do you use a connection pool?
>
> Jens
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 28.02.2013, at 10:48, Alain Becam <Al...@embl.de> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your feedbacks, here is the relevant part of code, slightly simplified. Very simple as you can see. The first method can be called by several threads, but as the static method insertSearchTerm is then instantiating a new DBRecord each time, that shouldn't be a problem. Using prepared statements is a good idea (and in some other places as well), so I will try it.
>>

>> public void insertSearchTerm(int operatorId, String searchTerms, boolean isLocal, String from)
>> {
>>        GregorianCalendar today = new GregorianCalendar();
>>        Date todayDate = today.getTime();
>>
>>        MiscTools.insertSearchTerm(operatorId,connectionToNew, searchTerms, isLocal, todayDate, from);
>> }
>>

>> -- MiscTools --
>>
>> public static void insertSearchTerm(Connection conn, String searchTerms, boolean isLocal, Date atTime, String from)
>>    {
>>        try
>>        {
>>            DBRecord rec = new DBRecord();
>>            rec.create(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG);
>> rec.setValue(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG.C_SEARCH_TERMS, searchTerms);
>> rec.setValue(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG.C_IS_LOCAL, isLocal);
>>            rec.setValue(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG.C_AT_TIME, atTime);
>>            rec.setValue(GeneralApp.db.T_SEARCH_TERMS_LOG.C_FROM_IP, from);
>>
>>            try
>>        {
>>            rec.update(conn);
>>
>>            GeneralApp.db.commit(conn);
>>        }
>>        catch (Exception e)
>>        {
>>               logger.error("Error while inserting new search terms",e);
>>        }
>>        }
>>    }
>>
>> On 27/02/2013 19:25, Francis De Brabandere wrote:
>>> I was thinking the same, you could try to reproduce this in a test by
>>> just generating sql. Could you share that part of code somehow so we
>>> can have a deeper look?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Francis

Re: Strange problem with Date while inserting

Hi Alain!

Posted by Alain Becam <Al...@embl.de>.
Thank you for your feedbacks, here is the relevant part of code,
slightly simplified. Very simple as you can see. The first method can be
called by several threads, but as the static method insertSearchTerm is
then instantiating a new DBRecord each time, that shouldn't be a
problem. Using prepared statements is a good idea (and in some other
places as well), so I will try it.

public void insertSearchTerm(int operatorId, String searchTerms, boolean
isLocal, String from)
{
         GregorianCalendar today = new GregorianCalendar();
         Date todayDate = today.getTime();

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeUpdateInternal(OracleStatement.java:1822)
>>    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeUpdate(OracleStatement.java:1787)
>>    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatementWrapper.executeUpdate(OracleStatementWrapper.java:280)
>>    at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyStatement.executeUpdate(NewProxyStatement.java:64)
>>    at org.apache.empire.db.DBDatabaseDriver.executeSQL(DBDatabaseDriver.java:535)
>>    at org.apache.empire.db.DBDatabase.executeSQL(DBDatabase.java:1025)
>>    ... 26 common frames omitted
>>
>> The DBRecordLoggingWrapper is simply saving udpate/insert informations if needed, and in that case it is doing nothing, just calling back the DBRecord methods. Still it could do something wrong, I simply don't see what.
>> Best regards,
>>    Alain

Re: Strange problem with Date while inserting

Hi Alain!