Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Reid Peryam <re...@bu.edu> on 2004/06/13 04:54:52 UTC

Need directions on how to connect to an IP address

I have no knowledge of either Ant or Tomcat other than a partner told me that both were necessary to download a file from his IP address.

This being said I have tried very hard to figure out how to use them to accomplish this. I seem to be able to start Tomcat up and shut it down (seemingly without ever using Ant), but the default port, 8080, causes a dns server error when I try to load http://localhost:8080/ . The documentation said this could be caused if I had something else running on that port. I don't know how to check if this is the case, nor see which ports I have available to reassign the default port to (which the documentation describes very well).

Finally, if someday I get Tomcat running properly, I have no idea of how to connect to said IP address to download the file on my buddy's computer. It would seem to be the simplest of Tomcat tasks, but I can't find a description of how to do it on any of the web documentation. Could someone point me there?

Thank you for your time,
Reid

Re: Need directions on how to connect to an IP address

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 10:54 PM 6/12/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I have no knowledge of either Ant or Tomcat other than a partner told me
>that both were necessary to download a file from his IP address.

Ummmm..... you need to download a file or you need to host a file for
download by others?  If the latter, you might need Tomcat (or some other
web server), if the former, you need a browser.  Just type in the URL (or
IP address + path) and hit <ENTER>.  Not to be too harsh, but if you don't
understand this, you probably shouldn't be even thinking about using Tomcat
or Ant, for that matter.

Jake