Posted to general@james.apache.org by pkasson <pk...@hotmail.com> on 2007/11/15 13:37:33 UTC

Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

I have tried to send emails to Hotmail and recently SMS messages via
Verizone's email /sms gateway.  In both instances, I get a 550 error.

Sending to GMail and others is no problem.  I am sending from an Outlook
client and not API.  Is there some special headers missing that these
external systems require so that they do not reject these messsages ?

Thanks.

Peter

Re: Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

Posted by pkasson <pk...@hotmail.com>.
I figured that ... so a static IP will fix this, correct?

Thanks Norman !

Re: Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Hotmail,

Re: Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

Posted by pkasson <pk...@hotmail.com>.
Stefano,

Re: Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

Posted by pkasson <pk...@hotmail.com>.
Stefano,

Thanks for the info, that may be it.  James is my email server.  Outlook (or
API client) will send email to whomever (joe@hotmail.com,
614222222@vtext.com, etc) and James is the smtp server for that.  I am not
trying to send via James (James is not a relay in sense of passing through
to Hotmail).

Your stmt:

"...maybe the problem is that your JAMES Server is on a dynamic IP pool or
that you
have misconfigured the HELO name for JAMES. The HELO name should be the
same of the reverse lookup of the IP from which JAMES connect the other
servers."

My IP is as static as providers offer, only changing every few months or so.
If you mean by the HELO name the response from a telnet to port 25, then it
shows my mail servers domain name, James SMTP Server 2.3.1 that follows it,
and the date.  So, it looks like the lookup is ok.

Now, I see in the dnsserver logs the following:

16/11/07 06:13:17 INFO  dnsserver: Couldn't resolve MX records for domain
XXXPROD.
16/11/07 06:13:17 INFO  dnsserver: Couldn't find CNAME records for domain
XXXPROD.
16/11/07 06:13:17 ERROR dnsserver: Couldn't resolve IP address for host
XXXPROD.

XXXPROD is the host name of the machine where James is running, but it is a
resolvable name, not sure I understand what it is stammering about.

Here is the text after the 550 for hotmail

From: "XXXX" <XX...@XXXXX>
To: <xx...@hotmail.com>
Subject: test
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 06:37:59 -0500
x-cr-hashedpuzzle: BS/b CzXt C/Nj DNC7 DcFn DlJt EUat EdN0 Ezdb E3zt FmXD
GkzN Hc5x Hi/F IpOS
IrWO;1;cABrAGEAcwBzAG8AbgBAAGgAbwB0AG0AYQBpAGwALgBjAG8AbQA=;Sosha1_v1;7;{904BCD86-DE13-4028-BFFE-BF3B412CD8D8};YQBkAG0AaQBuAEAAawBhAHMAcwB0AGUAawAuAGMAbwBtAA==;Fri,
16 Nov 2007 11:37:56 GMT;dABlAHMAdAA=
x-cr-puzzleid: {904BCD86-DE13-4028-BFFE-BF3B412CD8D8}

Apparently, I did not make Hotmail happy so it rebuked me.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

Posted by pkasson <pk...@hotmail.com>.
Yes, both are pingable.  I recall that when I had postfix running, I believe
that sending to hotmail was not a problem.  Strange enough, a few of my
posts to vtext.com (verizon sms) do finally go through, but much later than
"immediate", but some stay in "outgoing" queue.

There must be something in the header or packets that James is sending
Hotmail that make it think it is on the untrustworthy list or incomplete
information is being sent.

Re: Can't send t Hotmail or SMS

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,