Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jon Drukman <js...@cluttered.com> on 2010/11/12 19:22:21 UTC

Searching with AND + OR and spaces

I want to search two fields for the phrase Call Of Duty.  I tried this:

(title:"Call of Duty" OR subhead:"Call of Duty")

No matches, despite the fact that there are many documents that should match.

So I left out the quotes, and it seems to work.  But now when I try doing things
like

title:Call of Duty OR subhead:Call of Duty AND type:4

I get a lot of things like "called it!" and "i'm taking calls" but call of duty
doesn't surface.

How can I get what I want?

-jsd-

Re: Searching with AND + OR and spaces

Posted by Tomas Fernandez Lobbe <to...@yahoo.com.ar>.
Hi Jon, for the first query:

title:"Call of Duty" OR subhead:"Call of Duty"

If you are sure that you have documents with the same phrase, make sure you
don't have a problem with stop words and with token positions. I recommend you
to check the analysis page at the Solr admin. pay special attention to the
"enablePositionIncrements" attribute of the StopFilterFactory which defaults to
false.
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.StopFilterFactory).

for your second query:

title:Call of Duty OR subhead:Call of Duty AND type:4

make sure that you add parentheses like:

title:(Call of Duty) OR subhead:(Call of Duty) AND type:4

otherwise it will be translated to the query (supposing you have OR as your
default parameter):

title:Call OR your_default_field:of OR  your_default_field:Duty OR subhead:Call
OR  your_default_field:of OR  your_default_field:Duty AND type:4

Tomás

________________________________

Posted by Imran <im...@gmail.com>.
To get a more precise result on exact matches of your terms, how about
having another a string type field for title and subhead. And use dismax to
boost the string type fields more than the text type fields.

Cheers
-- Imran

Posted by Jon Drukman <js...@cluttered.com>.
Ahmet Arslan <iorixxx <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> > (title:"Call of Duty" OR subhead:"Call of Duty")
> >
> > No matches, despite the fact that there are many documents
> > that should match.
>
> Field types of  title and subhead are important here. Do you use
stopwordfilterfactory with enable
> position increments?

   <field name="title" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>
   <field name="subhead" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"/>

text is the default that comes with schema.xml, it has the enable position
increments stopwordfilterfactory.

> What is you solr version?

1.4

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.