Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Legolas wood <le...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/07 21:43:46 UTC

what does "Support for remote configuration via HTTP-based registries" means?

Hi
Thank you for reading my post
Can some one please explain what does  "Support for remote configuration
via HTTP-based registries" means and what is its use?
I find that this feature is mentioned in
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=43761 which is
Synapse 0.91 announcement.

Thanks

Re: what does "Support for remote configuration via HTTP-based registries" means?

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Legolas,

Synapse can take xml configuration elements from a HTTP registry specified
to Synapse by providing its definition class.

"Support for remote configuration via HTTP-based registries" means, that you
can place your whole synapse.xml configuration or else a part of the
configuration like a sequence definition, an endpoint definition or else an
XSLT transformation in this defined registry. Then by changing these remote
registry entries, you can change the runtime configuration (behaviour) of
the synapse without restarting the system.

We have considered the transactional resource access when changing these
configuration elements and Synapse supports the transactional resource
access. Which means if a particular resource from the registry has been
changed after a message is mediated in the in path and before the mediation
of the out path started, then we are not going to take the modified resource
since that particular message was using the earlier resource. It will use
the earlier resource for the out path as well.

These resources will be cached inside synapse in order to minimize the
performance drawbacks, and will be re fetched only if the resource is
changed.

If you need any more clarifications please let us know. We have a sample
demonstrating this behavior as well. [1]

[1] - http://ws.apache.org/synapse/Synapse_Samples.html  (Sample 9, 10 and
11)

Thanks,
Ruwan

On 7/8/07, Legolas wood <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> Thank you for reading my post
> Can some one please explain what does  "Support for remote configuration
> via HTTP-based registries" means and what is its use?
> I find that this feature is mentioned in
> http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=43761 which is
> Synapse 0.91 announcement.
>

> Thanks

Ruwan Linton

Re: what does "Support for remote configuration via HTTP-based registries" means?

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Legolas,

Synapse can take xml configuration elements from a HTTP registry specified
to Synapse by providing its definition class.

"Support for remote configuration via HTTP-based registries" means, that you
can place your whole synapse.xml configuration or else a part of the
configuration like a sequence definition, an endpoint definition or else an
XSLT transformation in this defined registry. Then by changing these remote
registry entries, you can change the runtime configuration (behaviour) of
the synapse without restarting the system.

We have considered the transactional resource access when changing these
configuration elements and Synapse supports the transactional resource
access. Which means if a particular resource from the registry has been
changed after a message is mediated in the in path and before the mediation
of the out path started, then we are not going to take the modified resource
since that particular message was using the earlier resource. It will use
the earlier resource for the out path as well.

These resources will be cached inside synapse in order to minimize the
performance drawbacks, and will be re fetched only if the resource is
changed.

If you need any more clarifications please let us know. We have a sample
demonstrating this behavior as well. [1]

[1] - http://ws.apache.org/synapse/Synapse_Samples.html  (Sample 9, 10 and
11)

Thanks,
Ruwan

On 7/8/07, Legolas wood <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> Thank you for reading my post
> Can some one please explain what does  "Support for remote configuration
> via HTTP-based registries" means and what is its use?
> I find that this feature is mentioned in
> http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=43761 which is
> Synapse 0.91 announcement.
>

> Thanks

Ruwan Linton