Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by manish khandelwal <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/29 02:03:49 UTC

Question regarding bloom filters

Hi All

I was reading about the read path. It says bloom filters are read from
memory. But bloom filters can become very large so they may occupy lot of
memory. So are all bloom filters loaded in memory on startup or are loaded
with read requests.

Regards
Manish

Re: Question regarding bloom filters

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.
They’re loaded in (offheap) memory on startup. They do scale with data size, so sufficiently large data sets will need smaller (higher FP chance) bloom filters if they become memory constrained.