Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "James L. Morris" <jm...@grn.georet.net> on 2002/04/09 18:04:55 UTC

Your production apache server

Hello,

I'm new to Apache.  I need some wisdom from some of the more experienced
Apache admins out there.

When you build an apache server, what do you typically compile in?  I
know from reading the list that mod_perl and mod_php must be compiled in
at build time ... but is there anything else that cannot be loaded as a
module?

My biggest aggravation is getting my server built "just-so" only to find
out I need to recompile because I need a feature that cannot be loaded
as module.  This has not happened yet ... but I want to avoid wasted
time as best as I can.

Thank you!
Jim

Re: Your production apache server

Posted by "James L. Morris" <jm...@grn.georet.net>.
Understand.  I learned that the hard way after doing just a ./configure
with no options ... mod_so isn't there unless you specify it in the
configure command.

What is the Apache Toolkit and why should (or shouldn't) I use it.
I've heard some chatter about it but don't really know what it is.

I have used Webmin from time to time ... it has helped me with some
apache configuration problems ...

Jim
Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.

Posted by Mark Luntzel <ma...@neurosis.net>.
this is also kept in config.status if you still have the old source tree lying around.

With large, sharp teeth, Andrew Hawkes chortled:

bash: rtfm: command not found

Re: Your production apache server

Posted by "James L. Morris" <jm...@grn.georet.net>.
That's a good idea.  I keep all my source code in a certain directory,
so that sounds like a good place to keep the configure file!

Thanks much,
Jim

Posted by Matt Garretson <ma...@assembly.state.ny.us>.
> One tip to keep in mind - record the "./configure ..." line you use for
> this build somewhere. Then, if you need to recompile you don't have to

I second this recommendation.  One thing i do is have a shell
script called "doit" in every source directory in which i have the
configure command, so i can tweak or repeat it easily.  E.g. the
one currently in my httpd-2.0.35 tree looks something like below
(BTW i'm still tweaking it, so not all the options below actually
work as i'd like):

#!/bin/sh
CFLAGS='-O3 -march=i686'  LDFLAGS='-static'  \
./configure  \
               --prefix=/opt/apache2 \
               --disable-so \
               --enable-static \
               --disable-shared \
               --enable-static-support \
               --enable-info \
               --disable-userdir \
               --disable-asis \
               --disable-autoindex \
               --disable-imap \
               --disable-env \
               --disable-include \
               --enable-auth \
               --enable-auth-dbm \
               --enable-auth-digest \
               --enable-ssl \
                                       2>&1 |tee configure.log

# make 2>&1 |tee make.log

Re: Your production apache server

Posted by Andrew Hawkes <ah...@unicon.net>.

Posted by Andrew Hawkes <ah...@unicon.net>.

Posted by Hasanuddin Tamir <sa...@trabas.com>.
Hi James,

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, James L. Morris <jm...@grn.georet.net> wrote,

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Apache.  I need some wisdom from some of the more experienced
> Apache admins out there.
>
> When you build an apache server, what do you typically compile in?  I

To my personal local need, I compile all standard modules statically.

> know from reading the list that mod_perl and mod_php must be compiled in
> at build time ... but is there anything else that cannot be loaded as a
> module?

Yes there is, the core (http_core.c). It must be there all the time.
Seriously, mod_perl and mod_php are third party modules. They are not part
of the standard distribution. You can compile them both long after you have
apache compiled and running well, provided that you've prepared apache to
handle such situation (see below).

> My biggest aggravation is getting my server built "just-so" only to find
> out I need to recompile because I need a feature that cannot be loaded
> as module.  This has not happened yet ... but I want to avoid wasted
> time as best as I can.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, most features are implemented in
modules. In fact, one of the coolest features, the one that allows you to
add features (via modules of course) without recompiling apache, is
implemented in a module (mod_so).

--
san->http(www.trabas.com)
{If Linux doesn't have solution, you have the wrong problem}