Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Miro Walker <mi...@cognifide.com> on 2006/04/08 10:30:27 UTC

JCR-305 & Disposing of Idle Workspaces

Hi,

In JCR-305, Stephan committed a change that allows workspaces to be
disposed of when idle for a preset length of time. We've been trying to
use this (as we're getting out of memory errors after publishing a few
times and ending up with 100's of workspaces), and it appears that once
a workspace is "disposed of" it cannot then be accessed again
(java.lang.IllegalStateException for the persistence manager). Is this
as intended? If so, then what's the recommended way to "recreate" the
workspace if it is needed again? We're using workspaces to model
"releases" of content, so all the content that was in the workspace was
labelled with an ID, so I'm guessing it should be possible to restore
all the nodes into a new workspace by the version label - does that
sound correct?

Cheers,

Miro

---

Miro Walker - Director - Cognifide

tel uk: +44 20 7993 8317

mob uk: +44 7875 503 702

tel pl: +48 61 669 0004

fax pl: +48 61 669 0003

mob pl: +48 661 869 781

skype: miro_walker

web: http://www.cognifide.com

Re: JCR-305 & Disposing of Idle Workspaces

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
hi miro,

On 4/8/06, Miro Walker <mi...@cognifide.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> In JCR-305, Stephan committed a change that allows workspaces to be
> disposed of when idle for a preset length of time. We've been trying to
> use this (as we're getting out of memory errors after publishing a few
> times and ending up with 100's of workspaces), and it appears that once
> a workspace is "disposed of" it cannot then be accessed again
> (java.lang.IllegalStateException for the persistence manager). Is this
> as intended?

definitely not ;-) i quickly tested this feature using DerbyPersistenceManager
and everything worked as expected, i.e. idle workspaces were shut down and
re-initialized on next access.

the information you provided is a bit too vague. what persistence manager are
you using? if you can reproduce this issue with a current jackrabbit build
please provide a simple testcase and include your exact configuration
and a full stack trace. i'll then take care of it.

cheers
stefan