Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@accor.com> on 2005/12/15 15:21:32 UTC

RE : [m2] packaging up applets

Have a look here
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycl
e.html
Section Specifying a New Packaging
You will see it's very easy ;-)

- Olivier

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Christopher Cobb [mailto:christopher.cobb@wfinet.com]
Envoyé : jeudi 15 décembre 2005 15:17
À : 'Maven Users List'
Objet : RE: [m2] packaging up applets

As a new maven user, I must say that I am surprised that there is no
support for applet scenarios.  The closest information I could find is
here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-896?vote=vote

When I first visited the page, there was only one vote for this issue
and I have now added my own for a grand total of two votes!  I guess
this will be solved Real Soon Now!  So, in lieu of having an existing
built-in solution, I suppose I will have to create my own solution.

I would prefer never to have to deal with accidentally using the wrong
copy of the war file (one that doesn't have the applet).  Therefore,
whenever the war file is generated, it should always contain its applet
and all of its dependents.  The applet, et al, needs to be copied to the
war's project directory before the war's package goal is executed.

Perhaps I could get a few hints on how to proceed.  Since I'm a newbie
here, I would be grateful if someone could verify the following outline
of steps.

1. Since "everything is a plugin", I suppose that I will have to write
some kind of plugin to accomplish this.  maven-appletpackager-plugin?

2. Push or pull?  Should the applet push itself into the web app, or
should the web app pull the applet into itself?  Since everything else
is more or less pull-ish around here, I suppose that a pull model would
be better.

3. If it's a pull, then the applet (et al) should be copied to the web
app before the web app gets packaged.  Does that mean that the plugin
should attach to the war's package phase?  Will this ensure that it gets
done BEFORE the war file is generated?

4. If it's a pull, then it would be nice to have some kind of dependency
from the web project to the applet project to ensure that the applet (et
al) is up-to-date before being copied to the web app.  But normal
dependencies get put in the web project's WEB-INF/lib directory.  The
applet does not go here.  It goes in the "top" of the web app's context
(e.g., /applets).  How can I have a real dependency (ensuring
up-to-dateness) but not cause the dependents to get copied to the
WEB-INF/lib directory and have them copied to src/main/applets instead.

QUESTION: So the question is, how do you create a dependency between the
web app project and the applet project without causing the applet and
dependencies be copied into the WEB-INF/lib directory where it does not
belong, and have them copied to src/main/applets instead?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

cc