Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Lakshmi Velineni <la...@datatorrent.com> on 2017/02/23 17:12:54 UTC

Re: example applications in malhar

I am ready to bring the examples over into the demos folder. I was
wondering if anybody has any input on Thomas's suggestion to rename the
demos folder to examples. I would rather do that first and then bring the
examples over instead of doing it the other way around as that would lead
to refactoring the new examples again.

Thanks

Posted by Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 on renaming it to examples. Additionally we should ensure that the word
"demo" is not used at all. The word "demos" is very sales oriented and
should not be used. "Examples" are what folks learn from.

Thks
Amol

E:amol@datatorrent.com | M: 510-449-2606 | Twitter: @*amolhkekre*

www.datatorrent.com  |  apex.apache.org

*Join us at Apex Big Data World-San Jose
<http://www.apexbigdata.com/san-jose.html>, April 4, 2017!*
[image: http://www.apexbigdata.com/san-jose-register.html]
<http://www.apexbigdata.com/san-jose-register.html>

Posted by Lakshmi Velineni <la...@datatorrent.com>.
Hi Thomas,

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think a flat list with good naming would make it easier to find a
> matching example.

I was looking at how examples are laid out in other projects like spark and
saw that there was top level classification such as r, ml, sql, streaming
etc., so I thought a top level folder, where there are lot of common themed
examples, such as datat movement, would be a good way to reduce clutter.

> topnwords ? There are already two related examples in Malhar: wordcount and
> twitter

It need not be brought over.

Can some of the examples be consolidated into a single example package,
> fileioXXX/fileoutput look like candidates.

I will look into it.

Thanks
Lakshmi Prasanna

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.