Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Expedito Reinaldo da Silva Júnior <ex...@camara.gov.br> on 2003/02/04 20:42:06 UTC

Struts Tools

Hi, All!

I don´t know if I'm asking to the right list, but I have a question: I'd
like to know what's the best IDE/tool to help using Struts. I've seen some
tools in the Struts resources page but I'm not impressed with them. I
thought in a tool helping us to 'draw' pages with areas (tiles), buttons,
boxes, etc, in a way that we can access its properties and configure its
name, validation rules, default values and so on. After creating our
'views', we could make the sequence of pages, like forward and redirect
pages. After all, the tool could generate my JSPs and the struts-config.xml
file correctly. From the input boxes we could know what input the view need
and generate the expected DynamicBeans, with the respectives validations
rules (previously setted). Following this idea, I thing we can generate our
Views, FormBeans (DynamicBeans) and Validations, and the ActionBean's
skeleton; the user will just need to program the business rules.

I've recently searched for drawing tools to create such 'framework' (or ide)
and I find that MS Visio and System Architect has features that could
produce this results (with use of some VB Scripts... UUhhh!).

A few days ago, I've managed some training courses and I find that the big
problem about the Java Language and the technologies it involves is the IDEs
we have! They are very poor (I don't know about JBuilder... I know it's the
best one...)!!! How can we convince VB and Delphi programmers to migrate to
Java with such tools?? So, I was looking at ASP .NET and I find it fantastic
(I sugest you to know and you will undertand me) and that time I thougth
'why cannot we have something like this'?? Struts is the right framework,
because its MVC separation allow us to generate a tool to reach such
facilities. What do you think about it????? Please help me make Java very
easy besides a great language!!! I know that good Java programmers are also
great experts in Design Patterns, architects and so on, but our language
(Java) can really grow substancially in the world with such programmer's
requisites???

Thanks all and sorry my bad english (I'm brazilian).

Expedito Jr.

Re: Struts Tools

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vi...@basebeans.com>.
Please post this on the Struts User list and not the Struts developer list.
My personal opinion is tha JBuilder is one of the worst IDE. Any other is
better. (Eclipse.org, VIM.org, etc.)

If you like .NET, you can use .NET, no sales people here. Can Delphi or VB
create a web application? Why would you change if you like them?
I found the run time license cost and security concerns lead my clients away
from .NET for larger sites. They like the run time costs of open source and
find it more secure and reliable.

If I found ASP fantastic I would use it. I find Struts more realtistic so I
use it.

Consider training or mentoring.

.V

"Expedito Reinaldo da Silva J�nior" <ex...@camara.gov.br> wrote in