Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Steffen Rochel <st...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/30 17:17:12 UTC

summary of 5/29 v1.2 post mortem & next release brainstorming call

Thanks to everybody who attended the MXNet post mortem and release
brainstorm call yesterday. We had 15 callers for the morning session and 3
people in a room in the afternoon session.

Summary of the post mortem is captured here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Release+Retrospective+Apache+MXNet+v1.2.0>.
Please feel free to add and comment.
Lots of good suggestions how to improve our CI process. Please contribute
to the suggested improvements.

Proposal for the next release content and schedule is summarized here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Project+Proposals+for+next+MXNet+Release>.
Please review, refine and add links to design specs where needed.
Taliesin from Wolfram Design offered to share experience writing good tests
covering different data types and I think we all could learn from it and
improve the flaky tests. I will coordinate with Taliesin to setup a session.

Q&A from the call:

   - Taliesin: support for control flow, discuss on dev@, avoid unrolling
   of operators, enable reshaping of operators, PR was rejected, provide more
   details
      - https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/8949
   - Anton: need to refine process for patch release (i.e. refinement
of Release
   Versioning and Branching
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Release+Versioning+and+Branching>
)
   - how and who decides about patch release
   - monthly call: yes (Haibin, Anton, Wolfram Research)

I summarized the calls as well here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Meetups+and+Hangouts> and
will follow up with the suggestions.

Please provide feedback on preferred monthly call times, so we can minimize
inconvenience while maximizing possible attendance. Please leave feedback
at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Meetups+and+Hangouts or
reply.

Time planer:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20180530&p2=283&p3=176&p4=37&p5=179&p6=33
Proposal
UTC 0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
Vote count (add name or X)

add as needed

Regards,
Steffen

RE: summary of 5/29 v1.2 post mortem & next release brainstorming call

Posted by "Zhao, Patric" <pa...@intel.com>.
Hi  Steffen,

It's a good meetup and it's pity I missed to join.

Regarding the proposal of 1.3, we (Intel team) want to add two items into the list.
Please help take a review:

1) fused RNN operators for CPU (GRU/LSTM/vRNN)
    Lead contributor : Patric Zhao (https://github.com/pengzhao-intel/), Lv Tao (https://github.com/TaoLv)
    Design Proposal,  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Fused+RNN+Operators+for+CPU
    BTW, LSTM is already merged, GRU is under the review.

2) distributed training by MPI AllReduce
    Lead contributor : Patric Zhao (https://github.com/pengzhao-intel/), Ye zhouhai (https://github.com/threeleafzerg)
    Design Proposal, https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Extend+MXNet+Distributed+Training+by+MPI+AllReduce
    BTW, we enabled the distributed training for awslabs/sockeye and the PR will be submitted soon.
    Discussion in here (https://github.com/awslabs/sockeye/issues/397)

Feel free to let me know for any feedback and suggestions :)

BR,

--Patric