Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Marc R. Uchniat" <lo...@feem.net> on 2003/11/21 20:08:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Bizarre double-slash appending on incoming queries in 1.3 tree

I'm using the debian unstable distribution and recently performed an
apt-get dist-upgrade procedure.  The current version of Apache that I am
operating under is 1.3.29-1 as per dpkg --status apache.

I am currently experiencing bizarre behaviour which I believe is linked
to mod_dir.  Attempting to access subdirectories which do not pass
through .htaccess files (this is the presumed explanation, though to be
honest some DO work and some DO NOT and I cannot find a distinct and
reliable reason for which works and which doesn't) results in a 404
error.

That is, if I am attempting to access http://feem.net/~logan5/ (or
~logan5 without the trailing slash, just to be clear), it works
perfectly.  If I try to access http://feem.net/~logan5/sa/ (with or
without the slash) or one of a number of other subdirectories, it will
NOT function. However /uva does.  Additionally, this problem extends to
the home directory.

I /am/ using virtual hosts, but I do not see how this could be a
problem.

Further, this problem popped up suddenly and without warning.  I am
uncertain as to why it has started to occur and was not experiencing
this problem several weeks ago.

The connected return in access.log is:

c-x.x.x.x.client.comcast.net - - [21/Nov/2003:13:07:01 -0600] "GET
/~logan5/sa/ HTTP/1.1" 404 282 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0;
Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

The connected return in error.log is:

[Fri Nov 21 13:07:01 2003] [error] [client 24.1.61.237] File does not
exist: /home/logan5/public_html/sa//

As you can see, the problem extends from what appears to be a
doubly-added trailing slash.

I /am/ using mod_rewrite and utilizing rewrite rules for other things,
but I am NOT using it to append a trailing slash in any way.

This is why I feel that it is related to mod_dir.

But I do not know how to resolve this issue.

[Marc R. Uchniat] is:
Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Marc R. Uchniat wrote:
> Resolved issue by rebuilding httpd.conf file.
>
> However, am unable to determine why the problem existed to begin with.

Symlinks?

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Bizarre double-slash appending on incoming queries in 1.3 tree

Posted by "Marc R. Uchniat" <lo...@feem.net>.
Resolved issue by rebuilding httpd.conf file.

However, am unable to determine why the problem existed to begin with.

Closing request for assistance.
--
[Marc R. Uchniat] is: