Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jean Hollis Weber <je...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/16 06:35:59 UTC

Introducing myself

I've been away for the past 2 weeks, so I've missed all the happenings.
I'm now catching up on the list archives and hope to be confirmed soon
as a committer. Meanwhile, I thought I would introduce myself, because
I've seen several topics where I think I can contribute information and
ideas.

I am Jean Hollis Weber, currently Co-Lead of OpenOffice.org
Documentation. My background is 30 years of technical writing, editing
and publishing, mostly on computer software related projects. My area of
expertise is user-oriented information, including user guides, how-tos,
and online help. (I have written an award-winning book titled "Is the
Help Helpful?" as well as other books under my own name and quite a lot
of the material in the official OOo user guides.) I also have some
project management (documentation team leadership) experience related to
coordinating the production of multi-authored documents such as user
guides.

Although there may be no formal "team leads" here, I think it's often
useful for people to take on a leadership or coordinating role once work
items have been defined. I've found that many publishing projects stall
without someone in that role. I don't actually want to spend a lot of
time "leading" (I'd prefer to be writing new material), so please don't
read that as me looking to take charge of documentation!

--Jean

Re: Introducing myself

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> I've been away for the past 2 weeks, so I've missed all the happenings.
> I'm now catching up on the list archives and hope to be confirmed soon
> as a committer. Meanwhile, I thought I would introduce myself, because
> I've seen several topics where I think I can contribute information and
> ideas.
>
> I am Jean Hollis Weber, currently Co-Lead of OpenOffice.org
> Documentation. My background is 30 years of technical writing, editing
> and publishing, mostly on computer software related projects. My area of
> expertise is user-oriented information, including user guides, how-tos,
> and online help. (I have written an award-winning book titled "Is the
> Help Helpful?" as well as other books under my own name and quite a lot
> of the material in the official OOo user guides.) I also have some
> project management (documentation team leadership) experience related to
> coordinating the production of multi-authored documents such as user
> guides.
>
> Although there may be no formal "team leads" here, I think it's often
> useful for people to take on a leadership or coordinating role once work
> items have been defined. I've found that many publishing projects stall
> without someone in that role. I don't actually want to spend a lot of
> time "leading" (I'd prefer to be writing new material), so please don't
> read that as me looking to take charge of documentation!
>
> --Jean

Hi Jean,

Glad you made it. :)

Andy