Posted to user@storm.apache.org by jova <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/22 05:21:02 UTC

Storm Cluster on Linux and Wndows

Has anyone successfully run a storm cluster with Linux and Windows boxes?
I am attempting this, by running nimbus on a linux box and have a
supervisor on a windows box.
Everything seems fine until I submit a topology jar and the supervisor node
attempts to download the topology jar.

Here is the error I get

2014-10-21 23:09:40 b.s.d.supervisor [INFO] Downloading code for storm id
JTopology-1-1413947365 from
/home/jova/Apps/apache-storm-0.9.2-incubating/data/nimbus/stormdist/JTopology-1-1413947365
2014-10-21 23:09:40 b.s.event [ERROR] Error when processing event
org.apache.thrift7.transport.TTransportException: null

My storm.yaml file on my windows box (supervisor node) stores the storm
data in a different directory.

Anyone with any ideas what can be causing this?

--
Jovaughn Lockridge

{developer : Github <https://github.com/settings/profile> }
{professional : LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=20227395>
 }
{social : twitter <https://twitter.com/JovaCoder> }

Re: Storm Cluster on Linux and Wndows

Posted by Jovaughn Lockridge <jo...@gmail.com>.
I ran my same storm.yaml configuration (minus the minor changes to the
directory structure)  and it works.  I believe this a bug if the cluster
was intended to include windows and linux nodes. Where can I submit a JIRA
for this?

Posted by jova <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jova <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jova <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.
from the logs you posted it seems to be that the supervisor running on
the windows machine is not able to connect to your nimbus. Make sure you
configured the storm.yaml with right nimbus.host and nimbus.thrift.port
which should be whatever you used on the linux box and also zookeeper
host. Incase if you are trying out storm you can run supervisor on the
same host without the need for supervisor running on a different os and
host. -Harsha

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014, at 08:49 PM, jova wrote:
> Yes I can ping my linux box from windows. I can also bring up the
> storm ui from my windows box
>
> I am running 2 different OS because I have windows 8 on one machine
> and it is not easy to configure a dual boot (linux/windows) anymore
> (from what I read). On my linux box I already configured everything
> (kafka, zookeeper, and storm) in Linux I did not have the energy to
> reconfigure under windows.
>
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Harsha <st...@harsha.io> wrote:
>> __
>>
>> Are you able to ping your linux host from windows. any specific
>> reason to run a distributed cluster on different OS. Thanks, Harsha
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014, at 08:21 PM, jova wrote:
>>> Has anyone successfully run a storm cluster with Linux and Windows
>>> boxes? I am attempting this, by running nimbus on a linux box and
>>> have a supervisor on a windows box. Everything seems fine until I
>>> submit a topology jar and the supervisor node attempts to download
>>> the topology jar.
>>>
>>> Here is the error I get
>>>
>>> 2014-10-21 23:09:40 b.s.d.supervisor [INFO] Downloading code for
>>> storm id JTopology-1-1413947365 from
>>> /home/jova/Apps/apache-storm-0.9.2-incubating/data/nimbus/stormdist/JTopology-1-1413947365
>>> 2014-10-21 23:09:40 b.s.event [ERROR] Error when processing event
>>> org.apache.thrift7.transport.TTransportException: null
>>>
>>> My storm.yaml file on my windows box (supervisor node) stores the
>>> storm data in a different directory.
>>>
>>> Anyone with any ideas what can be causing this?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jovaughn Lockridge
>>>
>>> {developer : Github[1] } {professional : LinkedIn[2] } {social :
>>> twitter[3] }
>>

> --
> Jovaughn Lockridge
>
> {developer : Github[4] } {professional : LinkedIn[5] } {social :
> twitter[6] }

Links:

  1. https://github.com/settings/profile
  2. https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=20227395