Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu> on 2015/07/03 03:42:03 UTC

Tasks remaining for release

Hi all,

We are close to having a release ready, but there's a few things left
on the checklist before we can cut the first Apache release. I think
most things on this list are underway, but I'll put them here just for
reference/visibility. Comments and thoughts are welcomed.

- Build stability after merging YARN and Feeds seems to have seriously
declined. It's hard to get a build to go through to the end without
going OOM at all now honestly, so this is a Problem. I think it may be
related to Feeds, but even after disabling the tests
(https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/#/c/312/), I still see it.
Therefore I am not precisely sure what is going on, but it only
started to happen after we merged those two features. It's not exactly
obvious to me where the memory leak is coming from. @Raman, it would
be great to get your advice/thoughts on this.

- Metadata name changes and Metadata caching consistency fixes are
underway by Ildar.

- The repackaging and license checker patches still need to be merged
in, but this should happen after the above two features are merged.
They are otherwise ready for review though.

- Now that Feeds is merged, the Apache website should be changed to
the new version that has been in draft form for a few weeks now.
Before it may have been a little premature, but now it should be
accurate. The documentation site should also be reverted to its prior
state, before it was quickly patched to serve as an interim website.

If there's anything else I am missing that should be in this list,
please feel free to add it into this thread.

Thanks,
-Ian

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.
Yes there is.
New External data documentation and some enhancements after experiments
have been in the code review queue since March :-)

Will work on merging them ASAP.

Abdullah.

--
Amoudi, Abdullah.

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
Cool suggestion - I think Spark may do something similar since they have
multiple APIs?  (Scala, Java, ...)

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.
My external data changes have been merged. No release blocker for me.

Cheers,
Abdullah.

--
Amoudi, Abdullah.

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Taewoo Kim <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.
Taewoo,

Check out the the first section “Dataverses, Datatypes and Datasets” in primer.md.
You should look for a sentence “The only fields that must be specified a priori are the primary key. (AsterixDB does not yet support auto-generated keys)”.
Also primer-sql-like.md has the same issue.

BTW maintaining two pages for AQL and NOSQL with the same content seems like very daunting task. I have seen that Flink guys are using a neat JS library called CodeTabs to make tabs on the page (see https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.9/apis/programming_guide.html <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.9/apis/programming_guide.html> Java\Scala code examples). Can we incorporate it into our markdown documentation as well?

Best regards,
Ildar

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Taewoo Kim <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ildar,

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
Just an update on this: Taewoo and I discussed this AM what'll need to
be done doc-wise, and found some bugs in the process (system-wise :-)).
Right now the uuid data type is not working entirely as it should, and
Taewoo
is fixing that.  We identified 4-5 places where some doc changes will be
needed
after the bugs are fixed, and we also decided this will be an
interesting enough
bit of new functionality that it probably warrants having a little
sidebar manual
of its own (length-comparable to the one on similarity query support).

Cheers,
Mike

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
Just never documented!

Posted by Taewoo Kim <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.
While I was checking and fixing small issue with indexing documentation I have noticed that auto-generated ID feature documentation is completely missing. Moreover of a AQL primer page it is saying that we do not support that feature.

(https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/#/c/312/ <https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/#/c/312/>), I still see it.

Posted by Heri Ramampiaro <he...@gmail.com>.
Should the changes I proposed be pushed too?

-heri

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.
This turned out to be a problem with my internet connection which is now
fixed.

Cheers,
Abdullah.

--
Amoudi, Abdullah.

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.
Got it.

--
Amoudi, Abdullah.

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.

--
Amoudi, Abdullah.

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
Okay!  And we should ask Pouria to do the torture testing he's done in
past (long ago now!) releases.

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.

--
Amoudi, Abdullah.

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org> wrote:

> Yes, please. I think that build stability in general are a big problem.
> And OOM issues specifically seem to be against AsterixDBs goal of not falling over when memory gets tight.
> So we probably should not release, if that’s something that everybody has a high chance of running into on first try.

There's nothing that prevents a release. If you expect issues with
that release, make users aware, recommend to stay with a previous
release, fix those problems ASAP, and cut another release.

And, btw, if you want AsterixDB to deal with OOM problems
automatically, or semiautomatically: Here's your chance to work on
that.

Jochen

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Any world that can produce the Taj Mahal, William Shakespeare,
and Stripe toothpaste can't be all bad. (C.R. MacNamara, One Two Three)

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
> Yes, please. I think that build stability in general are a big problem.
> And OOM issues specifically seem to be against AsterixDBs goal of not falling over when memory gets tight.
> So we probably should not release, if that’s something that everybody has a high chance of running into on first try.

I went ahead and merged a patch to disable the feeds execution tests,
hopefully this will stop the OOM failures from interfering with builds
of totally unrelated patches.

> Actually, I think that we should find a better way to merge the documentation and the website as they both are based on markdown and so it should be feasible to use the same translation to HTML for both. I’m not sure how much work that is and if that’s a option for the release, but I think that it would be good if we could agree that that’s the goal.

I think it's ok if we want to use Jekyll for both, but they should
remain separate in terms of maintenance and build. The docs have to
live with the code IMO, because they are (or at least should be) very
tightly coupled in a sense. The website doesn't have that quality at
all, in my mind, there's no "release" of the website in the same sense
that we have for AsterixDB.

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Toby Lehman <sk...@gmail.com>.
Ian,

I'm just watching from the sidelines, but I've had my share of weird memory
problems with large systems.
It has often been the case for us that we've left some important resource
attached to a data structure (and hence it didn't get freed up and given to
the GC when we all assumed it had been).  Some of our mistakes had to do
with logging/tracking/debugging when we accidentally cached more data than
we were expecting to.

So, that said, here are some thoughts....

Are you watching the activity of the garbage collector?

And, what is the thread limit set to now ... and what happens if you raise
it?

Toby

Posted by Ildar Absalyamov <il...@gmail.com>.
Shouldn’t those threads get reused in a fixed size pool?

Best regards,
Ildar

Re: Tasks remaining for release

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raman Grover <ra...@gmail.com>.
The OOM at Jenkins is of a particular kind - "unable to create native
thread" (different from "OutOfMemoryError Java Heap Space") which means the
stack associated with a thread could not be allocated. The thread stack is
not allocated on the heap. So heap size is immaterial is such OOM error.
(this can be confirmed by setting -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/clopts-139448.html#gbzrr> and
verifying the occupied heap from the dump.

Though stack size for a thread can be configured (-Xss) but I don't think
we should fiddle with it.

Ian, do you know what has been the corresponding number of threads from
previous stable builds?

Regards,
Raman

Re: Tasks remaining for release