Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Howard Miller <me...@howardmiller.co.uk> on 2002/12/23 14:59:16 UTC

Error loading struts-config

Hi,

I am just setting up a new Struts project. I have the Action servlet set
up and a struts-config.xml with almost nothing in it. When the war is
installed the servlet starts and then throws this error...

2002-12-23 13:47:11 StandardContext[/quest]: Servlet /quest threw
load() exception
javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Parsing error processing
resource path /WEB-INF/struts-config.xml
	at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initApplicationConfig(ActionS
ervlet.java:866)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:455)
...lots more....

I have no idea what's gone wrong. I seem to get the error regardless
of what's in the struts-config file or even if I remove it alltogether.

As the error message appears to be no help... has anybody got any
pointers as to what might be causing this?

I am running on Windows XP. All the example apps work fine.

Many Thanks

RE: Error loading struts-config

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.
Looks like the ActionServlet cannot find the config file at all. Make sure
the config parameter of the ActionServlet entry in web.xml is pointing to
the struts-config.xml file.

robert

RE: Securing a download

Posted by Sandra Cann <fl...@prodigy.net>.
You can find source code in Expresso (open source) that is based on
Struts to secure a download at www.jcorporate.com. In the Expresso demo
(admin UI) have a look at the security link then scroll down to the
bottom of the form to where it says "Download File Definitions". There
is also a Download Log that tracks who has downloaded what files.

Securing a download

Posted by Christophe Vigouroux <ch...@ecilia.fr>.
Hi all,

Here is my problem: I have a user which is granted access to some files to
download. I want to put all the files downloadable by all the users in a
common directory (many users may download the same file), but with the
possibility to deny the download to users not identified by my application
(I've put a bean in the session scope to identify the user).

I first tried to create an Action class taking the filename of the file to
download in parameter, forwarding to the path of my file with a redirect. It
works fine for the first requirement, but it fails to deny the download to
not identified users, because the file is in a public directory. If I try to
put my file directory within WEB-INF, I'm getting the "access deny" message
from my servlet container (because of the redirect).

Even if my solution does not show the URL to get directly the file (so,
nobody should know the URL), it is not a good one because the security
relies on that hypothesis... I'd prefer to have a servlet or an action or a
jsp which checks the identification of the user, then modifies the HTTP
header with the good mime type (but which one? my files could be .exe, pdf
and so on...), and include the file. But as far as I tried this, my problem
is that my browser give a filename that I don't want (for example I have a
download.do?file=myApp.exe and the browser wants to save "download.do" where
I wanted it to be "myApp.exe".

Hope anybody has a suggestion ;)
Thanks !!