Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/14 08:23:30 UTC

vocabulary: the configuration dilemna

Hi,

From almost its beginning Ivy suffers from the two meanings of the
"configuration" word. This has already been discussed, and maybe the
migration to Apache is a good time to review this issue. In the source code,
most of the time what wasa previously known as configuration file is now
called settings.

So I would like to know if you think we could go even further in this
direction, and replace the official naming by settings. Here is my
proposition:
- the configure task would remain configure, because I don't see how to
rename it. But if somebody has a better idea, we could provide a renamed one
and deprecate the old one.
- the usual name for the settings file would be ivysettings.xml instead of
ivyconf.xml. When no settings file is given, Ivy would automatically
configure itself with the following process:

Re: vocabulary: the configuration dilemna

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> He, I just think this morning to a name to replace the ivy:configure.
>
> If instead of seeing it as a task, you see it as a datatype, it could
> be named : ivy:setting , ivy:settings, or ivy:engine
>
> This was actually the solution proposed
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-366 (Scope and status
> leakage during build lifecycle)
> I know Maarten is working on it, and has already done a good work to
> scope the resolution.  If Maarten didn't worked yet on the scoping of
> the configuration (oups, of the settings), I will have a look to see
> if I can propose a patch.

This sounds like a pretty good idea. I like your idea proposed in IVY-366,
and I like this idea of considering the configure task as a data type, and
call it ivy:settings. Then we remove any possible confusion.

So it's +1 for me. Anybody else has an opinion about that?

- Xavier

Gilles

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gilles SCOKART

Re: vocabulary: the configuration dilemna

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 3/14/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1, the new version in apache package already break the API.  So why not
> do
> this change also.

And this wouldn't break backward compatibility, you would only have some
deprecation warnings.

- Xavier

Gilles

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mochel <jm...@clearstorysystems.com>.
+1, I for one don't think that most people would be all that upset even
if the name of the configure task was changed. As long as we documented

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.