Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2005/04/22 11:12:20 UTC

svn update -N

Hi all,

I have a repository with many branches, and I would like to check out
the "root" of the repository so that I can make some structural changes.
What I definitely don't want to do is check out the whole repository.

Having gone through the --help and the manual, svn update -N should in
theory be what I need to update all files in a particular directory -
but not recurse into subdirectories.

In this case however, svn update -N is doing nothing at all. No files
appear in the current directory when I know there are files in that
directory in the repository.

[root@fosvn01 fo]# ls -al
total 6
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 ..
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 .svn
[root@fosvn01 fo]# svn update -N
At revision 536.
[root@fosvn01 fo]# ls -al
total 6
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 ..
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:30 .svn

Is this a known bug?

I am using subversion v1.1.3.

Regards,
Graham

Re: svn update -N

Posted by Kevin Puetz <pu...@puetzk.org>.
Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a repository with many branches, and I would like to check out
> the "root" of the repository so that I can make some structural changes.
> What I definitely don't want to do is check out the whole repository.
>
> Having gone through the --help and the manual, svn update -N should in
> theory be what I need to update all files in a particular directory -
> but not recurse into subdirectories.

update -N is depth 0, not depth 1 like cvs's -l option was. Which makes it
significantly less useful, IMO, but the developers have already admitted
that svn's support for partial checkouts is a bit shaky :-)

> In this case however, svn update -N is doing nothing at all. No files
> appear in the current directory when I know there are files in that
> directory in the repository.

you have to "svn update -N foo" for each foo that you want to have appear.
"svn ls" can show you what subfolders exist. AFAICT, there appears to be no
way to do this with tortoise at all, since it has no way that I could find
to ask for an update to something that doesn't already exist.

Re: svn update -N

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.
There's also RSVN, at https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/rsvn/trac.cgi/wiki

Bye,
François

Re: svn update -N

Posted by Mickael Marchand <ma...@kde.org>.

Re: svn update -N

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Mickael Marchand <ma...@kde.org> writes:

> kfogel@collab.net a écrit :
>> Mickael Marchand <ma...@kde.org> writes:
>>
>>>and like I said a few days ago, the -N thingy _breaks_ svn:externals.
>>>(but nobody cares apparently...)
>>

>> "Not have time to fix, given other priorities" is not quite the same
>> thing as "no one cares", although I admit the results are
>> indistinguishable.
>
> now that you answered I know that's it's not ignored ;)

There has been an issue in the issue tracker for a long time.

> (and that it's considered as a bug)

I looked up your previous mail and it's not clear exactly what you
want, but perhaps this will do:

$ svn co -N https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kde-i18n kde-i18
$ svn pg svn:externals kde-i18n
admin https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kde-common/admin

$ svn co https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kde-common/admin kde-i18/admin
$ svn st kde-i18n
X      kde-i18n/admin

Performing status on external item at 'kde-i18n/admin'

--
Philip Martin

Re: svn update -N

Posted by Mickael Marchand <ma...@kde.org>.

kfogel@collab.net a écrit :
> Mickael Marchand <ma...@kde.org> writes:
>
>>and like I said a few days ago, the -N thingy _breaks_ svn:externals.
>>(but nobody cares apparently...)
>

> "Not have time to fix, given other priorities" is not quite the same
> thing as "no one cares", although I admit the results are
> indistinguishable.

now that you answered I know that's it's not ignored ;)
(and that it's considered as a bug)
thanks

Cheers,
Mik

> -Karl
>

>>kfogel@collab.net a écrit :

>>>Frankly, the -N support is a bit shaky.
>>>
>>>You should rather do this via URL operations.  If you want to get it
>>>all done in one commit, see Philip Martin's MUCC client, checked into
>>>the Subversion tree at:
>>>
>>>   contrib/client-side/mucc.c
>>>   contrib/client-side/mucc-test.sh
>>>
>>>"MUCC" stands for "Multiple URL Command Client".
>>>
>>>-Karl

Re: svn update -N

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: svn update -N

Posted by Mickael Marchand <ma...@kde.org>.

kfogel@collab.net a écrit :
> Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> writes:
>
>>I have a repository with many branches, and I would like to check out
>>the "root" of the repository so that I can make some structural
>>changes. What I definitely don't want to do is check out the whole
>>repository.
>>
>>Having gone through the --help and the manual, svn update -N should in
>>theory be what I need to update all files in a particular directory -
>>but not recurse into subdirectories.
>

> Frankly, the -N support is a bit shaky.
>
> You should rather do this via URL operations.  If you want to get it
> all done in one commit, see Philip Martin's MUCC client, checked into
> the Subversion tree at:
>
>    contrib/client-side/mucc.c
>    contrib/client-side/mucc-test.sh
>
> "MUCC" stands for "Multiple URL Command Client".
>
> -Karl
>

>>In this case however, svn update -N is doing nothing at all. No files
>>appear in the current directory when I know there are files in that
>>directory in the repository.
>>
>>[root@fosvn01 fo]# ls -al
>>total 6
>>drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 .
>>drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 ..
>>drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 .svn
>>[root@fosvn01 fo]# svn update -N
>>At revision 536.
>>[root@fosvn01 fo]# ls -al
>>total 6
>>drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 .
>>drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:27 ..
>>drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 1024 Apr 22 12:30 .svn
>>
>>Is this a known bug?
>>
>>I am using subversion v1.1.3.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Graham
>>--

Re: svn update -N

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

RE: svn update -N

Posted by Dale Worley <dw...@pingtel.com>.
> From: Graham Leggett [mailto:minfrin@sharp.fm]
>
> Having gone through the --help and the manual, svn update -N
> should in
> theory be what I need to update all files in a particular directory -
> but not recurse into subdirectories.
>
> In this case however, svn update -N is doing nothing at all. No files
> appear in the current directory when I know there are files in that
> directory in the repository.

I suspect that checking with "svn status -v" would show that the base
revision number of the directory had been updated to HEAD.  But that's not
what you want...

As I understand it, this is a consequence of the particular philosophy
Subversion uses.  The problem is that the appearance of a file in a
directory is determined by the revision of the file in the WC, not the
revision of the directory.  You updated the directory, and Subversion has
updated its permissions and properties.

If you want a file to appear in the directory, you will have to check *it*
out.  You might want to try something like "svn co -N $( svn ls
http://... )" to check out each element of the directory.

Dale