Posted to user@pig.apache.org by zjffdu <zj...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/09 16:47:58 UTC

Does Pig have the plan to support for loop ?

Hi all,

Since Pig-Latin is script language, will it support the for loop in the
future? Because these days, I am generating a bunch of report based on the
same scripts, just a little different in the parameter. And I use the java
api of pig, then I can simulate the for loop. But there is a disadvantage
that I have to load the data each time, and it will cost a lot of time.

So if pig can support the for loop internally, it would be better.

Best regards,

Jeff Zhang

RE: Does Pig have the plan to support for loop ?

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Jeff,

This is a topic of an ongoing debate - whether PigLatin should become a
full scripting language or whether bindings into other scripting
languages such as Python and/or Perl should be provided. The advantage
of the first approach is one stop shopping. The disadvantages the
complexity of the implementation of a full language and also, does the
world really need another scripting language.

Olga