Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Mark Johnson <ma...@barrenfrozenwasteland.com> on 2010/03/29 14:54:03 UTC

Wookie 404 error

Hi,
I'm trying to run Wookie on Tomcat. However, when I go to :8080/wookie on  the
server, I get a 404 error.

Restarting Tomcat puts the following in the Catalina log:
29-Mar-2010 13:49:56 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
29-Mar-2010 13:49:57 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 1687 ms
29-Mar-2010 13:49:57 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Catalina
29-Mar-2010 13:49:57 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.20
29-Mar-2010 13:49:59 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
validateJarFile
INFO: validateJarFile(/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/wookie/WEB-INF/lib/servlet-
api-2.5.jar) - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending
class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/wookie] startup failed due to previous errors
29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 37655 ms

I'm using the SVN code that I checked out this morning. Any clues?

Cheers
Mark

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Steve Nisbet <s....@mmu.ac.uk>.
Apologies for a tardy reply Gav,
in essence you are 100% correct. I'm about to update a wiki on our setup
with the cleaned-up version of my install process with the fixes
(including the Tomcat security - put the specific stuff in rather than
the grant all if you can), and making sure that the correct ownership
and permissions apply to all the components that you install.

Basically it was my gaff in the first place. I have spent most of my 20
odd years with *NIX doing stuff as Root, and when you issue the *ant*
commands to build and deploy the wookie components and widgets - it all
gets done as root, which means Tomcat can't work with the structure for
sure in an Ubuntu / Debian base.

Glad it worked for you first time round. I know it would be fine if I
went ahead and did it now. Funnily enough I had no probs building Tomcat
using apt-get.

best wishes all

Steve

--
Manchester Metropolitan University
Learning Systems Manager

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 04/04/2010 00:32, Gav... wrote:

> I've read this and the other threads regarding Wookie and Tomcat/mySQL
> (especially on Ubuntu it seems) and was expecting the same deal when I come
> to install it on the demo server.
>
> However, maybe just lucky me, but I experienced no such problems and had to
> do none of this workaround stuff or alter any security settings.
>
> There may be a difference in the way I did some things which is why I am
> mentioning it here.

Perhaps that should go onto the install page of the wiki?

Ross

RE: Wookie 404 error

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Mark Johnson <ma...@barrenfrozenwasteland.com>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Mark Johnson <ma...@barrenfrozenwasteland.com>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 29/03/2010 14:54, Paul Sharples wrote:
> On 29/03/2010 14:36, Mark Johnson wrote:
>> On Monday 29 Mar 2010 14:29:17 Paul Sharples wrote:
>>> Does the wookie process have rights to read the deploy folder?
>>>
>>> var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/wookie/deploy
>> I've given /var/lib/tomcat6 777 permissions (this isn't a production
>> server).
> okay, tricky to debug with the only clue being...
>
> 29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Error listenerStart
> 29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Context [/wookie] startup failed due to previous errors

It sounds like it would be worth running with debug logging turned on
(see [1]) and change

log4j.logger.org.apache.wookie=info

log4j.logger.org.apache.wookie=debug

You may want to increase logging on other code too.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/wookie/trunk/src/log4j.properties

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Mark Johnson <ma...@barrenfrozenwasteland.com>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Mark Johnson <ma...@barrenfrozenwasteland.com>.
On Monday 29 Mar 2010 14:17:35 Paul Sharples wrote:

> Did you also set the following folder path as writeable?
>
> var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/wookie/wservices
>
> Paul

I did, but to no avail :(

Mark

Re: Moodle block

Posted by Mark Johnson <ma...@barrenfrozenwasteland.com>.
On Monday 29 Mar 2010 14:44:36 Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 29/03/2010 14:32, Steve Nisbet wrote:
> > Meantime, can you tell me how to get hold of the Moodle block? I've found
> > content in the repository at:
> >
> > http://cvs.moodle.org/contrib/plugins/blocks/wookie/
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/embedding-wookie-widgets-in-other-applic
> ations.html
>
> points to
>
> http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?rid=3319
>
> Which in turn points to
>
> http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/blocks/wookie.zip
>
> It also points to
>
> http://cvs.moodle.org/contrib/plugins/blocks/wookie/
>
> Not sure if the latest binary includes the latest CVS updates.
>
> Ross

That Zip should be automatically packaged from whatever's in the Moodle CVS.

Mark

Re: Moodle block

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Moodle block

Posted by Steve Nisbet <S....@mmu.ac.uk>.
Allo!
catching up on emails, meant to send one to you and yours to say thanks for all your help last week.
Meantime, can you tell me how to get hold of the Moodle block? I've found content in the repository at:

http://cvs.moodle.org/contrib/plugins/blocks/wookie/

Is this the best place? Need to do a CVS check out?

hope you are well
back in Bolton Wednesday for the Change in Technology Enhanced Education Workshop.

best wishes

Steve

ps: Sorting our Wiki out now and will put in the revised docs I made about sticking Wookie on a Ubuntu 9 series platform

Learning Resource Manager
Learning & Research Technologies
LRIS

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Steve Nisbet <S....@mmu.ac.uk>.
Mark, when I got a pile of errors like these last week there was some run-on error lines further down starting with "caused by..."
which gave Paul and myself some further clues, do you have anything like these?

best
Steve

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Mark Johnson <ma...@barrenfrozenwasteland.com>.

Re: Wookie 404 error

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.
On 29/03/2010 13:54, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to run Wookie on Tomcat. However, when I go to :8080/wookie on  the
> server, I get a 404 error.
>
> Restarting Tomcat puts the following in the Catalina log:
> 29-Mar-2010 13:49:56 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
> INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
> 29-Mar-2010 13:49:57 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
> INFO: Initialization processed in 1687 ms
> 29-Mar-2010 13:49:57 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
> INFO: Starting service Catalina
> 29-Mar-2010 13:49:57 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
> INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.20
> 29-Mar-2010 13:49:59 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> validateJarFile
> INFO: validateJarFile(/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/wookie/WEB-INF/lib/servlet-
> api-2.5.jar) - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending
> class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
> 29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Error listenerStart
> 29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Context [/wookie] startup failed due to previous errors
> 29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
> INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
> 29-Mar-2010 13:50:34 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> INFO: Server startup in 37655 ms
>
> I'm using the SVN code that I checked out this morning. Any clues?
>
> Cheers
> Mark

Try removing the the jar...