Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/01 00:38:20 UTC

Re: Okay to get ball rolling for pull requests?

Screw gerrit, we've already got the Jenkins Enterprise GitHub pull
request builder plugin enabled on builds.apache.org - it needs some
validation still and hooks to be set up by Infra on the GitHub repos,
but once that's done, you can have a job that watches for pull
requests, builds them, and comments on the pull request with the build
results.

As to that script - how is it being run? I assume by hand by Spark committers?

A.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The actual script is done by the commiters.  You can read about the process in the spark commiter guidelines:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Wiki+Homepage

This makes sense now.

> So the steps would be
>
> 1) Adopt the script for processing pull requests
>
> 2) Add it to our bigtop repo
>
> 3) Create a pull request and test the script for comitting it.
>
> Some might dispute one issue here : The patch system record of is a little diluted.
>
> Is that a big deal? Im not sure .  I think its a tough decision - its no simple answer.
> If losing track of patches builds a significantly more vibrant ecosystem, i think its an okay tradeoff.
>
> Any other opinions on this?

Well, whatever automation we create to make the patch validation
and acceptance experience smoother is great.

That said, personally, I'd like to maintain two constraints:
   1. all non-trivial changes MUST have a JIRA ID associated with them
   2. any fixed for JIRAs that go into our code-base MUST have a
       patch attached to a JIRA and be explicitly reviewed and +1ed.

Does this sounds reasonable?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Okay to get ball rolling for pull requests?

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
I think that should be fine. Anything that keep the JIRA thread
and only allows humans to +1 can be automated everywhere else.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. ASF sort of frowns on bots interacting with JIRA too much
on the write path -- but to me this is a minor issue.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
s/+1/Resolves

Sorry about the confusion : Im not suggesting bots review patches and +1 them :)

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.