Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> on 2009/10/02 22:07:23 UTC

if this is legit, SW needs to protect their servers Re: southwest airlines sends out their own phishing email

from other that have see this email from other airlines:
(and, sw needs to protect my PPI by using SSL servers, not plain text
servers that belong to a marketing company)

Is the TSA “trying to scare me into providing personal information”?

June 2, 2009

Secure Flight. Just the mention of those two words is enough to confuse,
frustrate or frighten the average air traveler. As in, “The
Transportation Security Administration’s new Secure Flight program will
require you to … (insert name of ridiculous new policy here).”

The question now isn’t what is Secure Flight. It’s, “what isn’t it?

Frank Perch got the following email from AirTran the other day, for example.

    Recently, the Transportation Security Administration announced
changes to their watch list matching process called Secure Flight. The
mission of Secure Flight is to enhance the security of domestic and
international air travel through the use of improved watch list
matching. Another benefit will be greatly reduced incidents of
passengers being misidentified with names on the TSA’s watch lists.

<http://www.elliott.org/blog/is-the-tsa-trying-to-scare-me-into-providing-personal-information/>

He thought it was a scam.

    The email does not exactly say, but strongly implies, that if I goof
up — if my name on the reservation does not exactly match the format on
my ID — that my ticket will not be valid.

    My first reaction to this email was actually that it must be a
phishing email of some kind. Some crook is trying to scare me into
providing personal information. Yet the email seemed to pass many of the
usual phishing tests. I couldn’t find any spoofed hyperlinks for instance.

    I was still suspicious though because none of the other airlines I
deal with was contacting me about this alleged requirement, which the
email says is effective TODAY, and also usually when there is something
important like that one would expect a bit of advance notice.

As it turns out, the email is legit, and so is the requirement. But
Perch’s note underscores the fact that there’s so much misinformation
about the new TSA policy, it’s amazing that air travel hasn’t ground to
a halt.
For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com